Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 31, 2022

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. Mattie was 11 months old and I took him on a plane to California for the first time to visit my parents. I am not sure I would have made that adventure if I did not have a conference to attend. I had to attend the conference because I was accepting an award. I had a lot going on, because earlier in that month, I defended my dissertation. This photo captures my dad with Mattie. It is hard to believe how gravely things have changed for us from that moment in time.... Mattie is dead and my dad has dementia. 




Quote of the day: Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it.Winston Churchill


This morning after getting my dad up, showered, dressed, had breakfast, finished brain games and his walking routine, I packed up the animals in the car because they had a wellness check with a new veterinary practice. Peter encouraged me to find a vet closer to home rather than remain with our vet in Washington, DC. I don't like change, but given our circumstances now, I need support closer to home. 

There are many vet practices around us, but I decided to go with Pender Vet Animal Hospital. I knew about Pender, because this is where we board Sunny when we used to travel. I was on the fence about going today, but it turned out to be fantastic. We have been assigned to the medical director of the hospital. He is a long time vet of 23 years. I absolutely loved him. Typically vets do not communicate well to humans. Or this has been my experience. Not Sunny's new vet. He asked about us and we asked about him. Ironically we have the same philosophy about medical care..... IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT THE MEDICINE. I think we will get along great. 

Sunny and Indie got a good check up and Sunny got his updated vaccines. The doctor talked to us about the fact that Sunny is a "senior" dog. Though I know this on some level, I don't think about it! Sunny is my Sunny! In any case, in two weeks, I am taking Sunny back to the doctor to undergo a sonogram of his kidney and liver, this is preventative, to catch any tumors before they could arise. The doctor has started Sunny on a two week med regimen for arthritis and wants to know if this new med will make a difference to his quality of life. We shall see. In any case, I made it crystal clear that I want Sunny to live as LONG as possible. I may have rescued Sunny, but I think Sunny has done volumes for us and our home. 

I am grateful that toiletries are coming in for Mattie Miracle. Each April, in honor of Mattie's birthday, we hold an item drive. It is hard to believe that on April 4th, Mattie would have turned 20. So many years lost. 

Since we moved into our home, I had to get connected with a quality company that does electrical, HVAC, and plumbing. I reached out to FH Furr. They have helped us in countless ways and I can't say enough good things about the company! Today I learned that FH Furr has included us on this community page! In fact, each November and April they take part in a company wide item drive for us. We are grateful for their commitment to Mattie Miracle. 

No comments: