Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 21, 2022

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. This was Mattie's first trip to the beach. In fact, it was his first dip into the Atlantic Ocean. During that trip, it was Mattie's first and last, as he found the ocean very intimidating. Nonetheless, the key with Mattie was doing things when he was ready. It would have been very easy to never go back to the beach given his first reaction, but I am glad we kept trying, because in time Mattie love it! He particularly loved building and creating in the sand. 


Quote of the day: Release in your mind who your loved one used to be and accept who they are today. ~ J. Rusnak


Today was one of those days in which I was driving non-stop! I first took my parents to the hospital, because my dad had his first speech therapy session. It was a 90 minute evaluation and assessment by a wonderful speech therapist. As soon as I got to the hospital, my mom needed to use the bathroom. So I had my dad sit in the hospital atrium, while we waited. When she finally joined us, I got her a hot tea, so she could sit for 90 minutes. Before taking my dad up for therapy, I went to the radiology film library to get a copy of my mom's brain MRI on a disk. I read the radiology report and frankly I have more questions than answers. I am hoping the neurologist can assist us next week and make some sense out of what I am reading. 

The speech therapist is lovely and included me in the session. Smart woman, and understands the challenges caregivers of dementia patients face. Despite being in her 20s, I found her very sensitive to the situation. Throughout the session, it seemed NOVEL to my dad that he has dementia. In fact, in his mind, he doesn't have dementia and thought the therapist today was going to tell him as such. She reminded him that he was already diagnosed with dementia and her job wasn't to diagnose him but to help him develop strategies in order to have a better quality of life. No matter how many times we explained this to him, he kept insisting...... 'but I don't have dementia!'

The therapist administered part of the ALFA (Assessment of Language-Related Functional Activities) today. Particularly the parts of the test that focus on Understanding Medicine Labels, Using a Calendar, and Reading Instructions. In truth he did fairly well on this assessment and with that he said... 'see I don't have dementia.' Of course the therapist explained that this assessment wasn't for that purpose. Instead it assesses what strategies work for him to remember things. I use many word prompts and cues at home, and after today's assessment I see that I am spot on! These work for him. 

In any case, it is now 11:30pm, and I am still up and working on a template for my dad's daily notebook. As she wants him to record things he considers memorable throughout the day. I have done this before and the only person frustrated from this exercise is typically me. I am hoping it goes better now. Since he does respond to visual cues, I would love it for him to get use to turning to his notebook for reminders. My fear however is that I really don't think that my dad cares to remember anymore. Not so much from apathy, I just don't think he deems this as important. 

After therapy I took my parents out for an early dinner. I did this because tonight I was going to my friend's house to welcome her cousin to town. This is a yearly event that I try not to miss. However, this year is anything but normal for me. Tonight was my first night out of the house without my parents in 9 months. I left them for three hours, and that was only possible because all of their needs were met beforehand.

Tonight's crew! We were at my friend Ann's home and JP, her cousin, was sitting right next to me. 



No comments: