Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 23, 2022

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on July 23, 2008, hard to believe this was 14 years ago today. Today is a day I will never forget, as it was the day our lives changed forever. It was on this day that Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. It may have been July, but Mattie requested Christmas lights outside, and we made it happen that day! It is ironic how a request that we would not have been granted under ordinary times, became immediately accomplished under extraordinary life altering circumstances. 


Quote of the day: The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before. ~ Albert Einstein


I met my friends in Alexandria, VA today to celebrate my birthday. I do have amazing friends and I am grateful for their support. All of whom where around when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. I am grateful for the lunch, cards, gifts, and toiletries for our Snack & Item carts!

I think it is possible to appreciate the gathering and yet be miserable at the same time. Not because of the people, but because of my life's circumstances. On top of which is I am extremely tired and trying to pull it together so I could leave my parents for several hours was challenging. I put in a full day before ever getting to the restaurant today. 

I am pictured with Jane and Ann here. Both women I met through Mattie's preschool and we have been friends since 2005. 

The group..... Standing from left to right are: Junko, Mary, Carolyn, Debbie, Catherine, Jane and Ann

Sitting next to me is Peggy. 

The ladies by the Potomac River.

Standing from left to right: Jane, Carolyn, Catherine, Mary and Junko

Sitting from left to right: Peggy, me, Debbie, and Ann


I have to say that it would be easy to have a mental breakdown from all I am balancing. Sometimes group settings set me off. Not because of the people in the group per se, but more because of the internal dialogue going through my head. A dialogue that reminds me that I am different, that I live a life quite apart from others, and therefore this dialogue as a result separates me from those that I am close to. I am aware of this in myself, and yet at the same time can't seem to prevent the wicked cycle from happening. But in all honesty, for now, I will just have to accept these feelings as they are and move on. Otherwise, I will beat myself up and feel guilty and I can't handle or process one more thing right now. 

At lunch, I had a side bar conversation with my friend Junko. This is a very natural person for me to chat with, because Junko would come to the hospital when Mattie was in treatment and she and I would talk, have lunch together (as she spoiled me with all sorts of tasty lunches that she brought with her), and she would even massage my neck. All our nurses knew Junko because they were touched by her kindness toward me. So while others while chatting today, Junko and I were crying. Sometimes it helps to know that people around me understand my daily stress on such a deep level. 

Meanwhile, Peter was juggling my parents alone this afternoon. Peter knows the chaos, but I have a feeling he missed me in tow. As I am the orchestra leader of the show.

Our wonderful server, Cheryl, text messaged me a photo of my three having dinner, while I was out with my friends. She and I exchanged photos today. I shared my luncheon photo and she shared a photo of my family. Cheryl's son is a childhood cancer survivor and she has been taking care of my family since my parent's moved here. I am very fond of her and in a way has become a friend. We text message each other photos and stay in touch throughout the week. 

No comments: