Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 19, 2022

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Tuesday, July 19, 2022 -- Mattie died 668 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. This was our first family trip to the beach. Mattie was a year old. If you look closely at Mattie's face, he was NOT a happy camper. However, in time Mattie came to love and appreciate this beautiful barrier island. We do not have many photos of us together, which is why I appreciate this one.


Quote of the day: You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win - no matter what the outcome. ~ Patch Adams


I got up at 6am today in order to get myself together, breakfast made, and my dad up, showered, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast. My dad had a 9:45am follow up appointment with his internist. In fact, we see this doctor every three months, because my dad has significant enough issues that he requires this kind of monitoring. 

At the appointment today, my dad was deemed more lucid! Of course the questions the doctor asked were.... What month is it? What day is it? What year are we in? Whose the president? 

Honestly these questions are old hat and in my book tell you LITTLE about how well you can function in your day to day life. He maybe oriented to time, place, and person (possibly), but if you ask him what he did a minute ago? He can't tell you! If you ask him did he had a bowel movement today? He has no idea! What did you eat today? NO clue! The list goes on, and without any working memory, life is very challenging from minute to minute. 

Any case, the doctor went on a tangent today regarding being incontinent. In fact I felt like he was practically giving my dad a warning, which I did not care for. The warning was.... that urine and bowel movements belong in the toilet. He told my dad that this is the only place he should be going! He also then mentioned that his mom is 90 years old and his sister has been her caregiver for 5 years. Now after 5 years, the sister has decided to put the mom in a nursing home because she is tired of cleaning up urine and poop. Clearly this conversation served NO purpose for my dad! Fortunately with my dad he won't remember it ever took place, which is a blessing! But I certainly do! The only one deciding whether my dad needs an institution is me. Given all that I balance on a given day, the least of my issues is that my dad goes to the bathroom in his depends. Can you see why I nickname this doctor, DOPEY! He continues to live up to his name. 

Because my mom has an MRI of her brain this evening, I decided to take my parents out to lunch. Unfortunately our usual servers were off today. So we trained in a new one. This poor guy had no idea what hit him. As everything we order has modifications! 

My dad likes a lot of balsamic dressing and the chef wanted to charge my dad 59cents extra for additional cup of vinegar. I told the waiter to alert the manager that we are regulars and I don't expect to be paying extra for vinegar. Thankfully the manager over-rode the chef! 

The highlight of my day was seeing packages arrive for my birthday. Friends have asked what I wanted for my birthday. Honestly other than a vacation, which isn't going to happen, the thing that interests me the most is our Foundation's snack carts! So I created a private wish list for friends to access, and voila..... packages are arriving. A BIG THANK YOU for friends who understand what I am balancing, who don't judge, but instead appreciate the effort caregiving is taking day in and out. 


No comments: