Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 29, 2022

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and to me was the cutest little pumpkin around. Mattie did not understand the concept of Halloween yet, but he and I still went out together and picked some sort of themed outfit for the occasion. Mattie gravitated to the color orange, so when I saw this sweat suit at Target, I knew this would be a winner. Mattie preferred soft materials and nothing that would restrict his movement. 


Quote of the day: Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.Earl Grollman


Last night we went to a friend's house for about three hours. The marathon I had to run just to enable this to happen was intense, because I had to make sure my parents were fed and taken care of before leaving the house. Which is why I am not eager to make any appointments. I am a social person, but caregiving most definitely has turned me inward. By the time I got to my friend's house my head was pounding and I felt dizzy. It eventually subsided but to look mentally and physically together for three hours is hard. As I know nothing about my daily life is normal. 

Apparently while we were gone, Sunny was trying to work my parents for attention. It did not work, but you can't blame a fellow for trying!
We took my parents to the farmer's market today. My dad did a few laps of walking with Peter, but then wanted to sit in the car and wait for us. Rather than sit using his rollator and engage in conversation with us and the vendors. Last night while talking to my friends, whose parents have dementia, it confirmed to me that not all people with dementia avoid socialization.... like my dad. My dad avoids it at all costs. 

Later in the day, Peter and I took Sunny for a walk. As soon as we stepped outside, I heard a woodpecker in our birch tree. Do you see it?
After our walk, we came home to a big Amazon wish list delivery! 
Boxes everywhere and soon I will need to begin organizing the contents. I am very grateful to our supporters who contribute each year!


















While we were out, this was our view in our family room. Both parents were out! Mind you if they aren't moving, they are sleeping, at all hours of the day. 



No comments: