Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 24, 2022

Monday, October 24, 2022

Monday, October 24, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Mattie was four and a half years old and doing what we loved doing in the fall..... attending fall festivals. This particular festival had an incredible display of pumpkins. I loved the big one behind us and I suggested to Mattie that we should take a photo by it. Peter snapped it and it happens to be one of my favorite photos. Mainly because Mattie was giving us a naturally big smile and truly was loving the moment. 


Quote of the day: Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built of a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touches some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there. ~ Ray Bradbury


There were two highlights to my day today. The first was talking to a couple who also lost an only child to osteosarcoma. They are based out to Boston and they were connected to us by one of the authors of our Psychosocial Standards of Care. I admire this couple, as they are focused on supporting families through the cancer process and are planning to do this in an unique way with the Foundation they are working on establishing in their son's memory. There are many noteworthy thoughts that came into my mind when chatting with this couple, but the first was something they said mid-call. They were discussing with us the fact that not everyone deals with child loss in the same way, and while we all are set on running a foundation to help others, not every bereaved person/family can or wants to do this. This couple is only one year into their grieving process and yet this comment is very astute, because they are right. Running a foundation and reliving our issues are NOT for everyone. Of course there is no right or wrong answer to dealing with child loss, but like this couple, Peter and I had to create and run Mattie's Foundation, because it is like our compass and lifeboat in our terrible life-long storm. 

The second highlight is later in the day, I suggested to Peter that we take Sunny for a walk. Sunny loved it and while outside and not caring for anyone, I can vent, walk, get fresh air, and take in the greenery. Because it was a lovely evening, we bumped into neighbors and had several nice chats. I can't do this with my parents. In fact, I can't have any sort of social life with them because at the end of the day the only way I can describe caregiving for aging parents it is a lot like caring for a toddler. The world is very "me" focused. No matter what the conversation, the topic in question always comes back to them. It is impossible to have a two way chat or meaningful dialogue. So in essence my parents are NO longer my parents and I am not sure I really blame age as much as I blame dementia. 

This morning was a riot. I told my mom I had two conference calls back to back. After which I would take her to CVS and then out for tea. Don't you know that this did not register with her. At 10:45am, my mom approached me and said she was ready to go out! I then had to explain to her again that I couldn't go out now because I had calls. Once my calls were over, I did take her out. Taking my mom shopping is challenging at best. She gets disoriented easily and freezes and she also has trouble balancing and walking. So trying to manage her and a shopping cart is a comedy show. I can't tell you how many strangers have offered to help me along the way because any rational person can see I am on overload. Once shopping was over, I took my mom for tea and snacks. She loved it and chatted and reminisced for two hours straight. Very one way chatting. I remember when I was in graduate school, hearing about the importance of reminiscent therapy with older adults. I do think it is a lot easier to do this from a professional standpoint, and not from the lens of a caregiver who is with the person 24/7. The sad part is I tried to tell my mom about one of my calls today, and she changed the subject back to her. So in many ways, my life is very isolating and physically and emotionally demanding. 

I had a floor lamp in my office for over a year. Recently my mom was complaining that she did not have enough light upstairs, so she took my floor lamp. Peter ordered a replacement lamp for me and I picked one that had a bug theme, as my Mattie was totally into bugs! Can you see these wonderful dragonflies? Also do you see the 1,000 paper cranes hanging from this light? 

These cranes were hand crafted by my friend Junko and her mom. Junko delivered these to us early on in Mattie's treatment process. These creations were a labor of love, with prayers said along the way during the folding and assembling process. These cranes hung from Mattie's IV pole with each hospital admission and then after he died, they hung in Mattie's bedroom. Now that we moved, the cranes now watch over me as I do Mattie's work in my office. I will never forget the sentiments behind this gift and the loving friendship behind them.  

No comments: