Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 23, 2022

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. As you can see from my most recent blog posts, October was a busy fall festival month for us. Each weekend, we wanted to get Mattie out and about, both to expend energy but also to take in the world around him. By age four and a half, Mattie was more eager to try slides, climbing, and other things. Whereas when he was much younger, he had great fear around being around lots of people and forget about hearing any loud noises. By the time this photo was taken, we had jumped through many hurdles with Mattie, and he was really thriving and shining. 



Quote of the day: Grief is like a moving river, it's always changing. I would say in some ways it just gets worse. It's just that the more time that passes, the more you miss someone. Michelle Williams


It was another winner of a day on the Farm. Today wasn't as positive of a day on Ritalin as yesterday. I have to level set my expectations, as Saturday seemed like we may potentially be turning a corner with my dad. I would say my dad was back to his chronically exhausted state today. After breakfast, my dad was complaining that I was asking him to walk in the house for 15 minutes. He implied... how would I like to have to do all that? So I tried to give him perspective of what I accomplished by this same time today. I laid it out for him, just like I am doing below:

  • I got up. 
  • Changed my bed linens and started the washing machine.
  • Took a shower and got dressed.
  • Came down stairs and made breakfast for us.
  • Vacuumed the first floor of the house.
  • Folded the laundry I started earlier in the morning.
  • Fully cleaned out the cat's litter box and put in new litter.
  • Threw out the garbage.
  • Woke my dad up.
  • Made their bed.
  • Got him showered, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast.
  • Started the second load of laundry.
  • Cleaned up breakfast dishes.
  • Did brain games with my dad.
  • Oversaw his 15 minutes of walking.
  • Then did his PT exercises.

This bulleted list was just from the time I woke up until about 11am. Honestly that alone would be a full day of chores. But then add onto it toileting my dad, which means cleaning the bathroom after every use, managing their other needs and demands and then taking them out to dinner, and I am DONE!


The highlight of my day was walking with Peter and Sunny. I made a commitment to get out of the house without my parent's in tow this weekend. Even if it was just for an hour. While walking through the woods, we came upon three deer. Here was one. Sunny was thrilled. 
Can you see this one? See the two thin tree trunks on the right? The deer is right next to them, hiding in a bush. 
The third deer. 

Along our journey today we kept finding piles of fur. It looked fluffy. At first we thought it was dog fur, but since it was all over the woods and in large quantities, I deduced it had to be from deer. I was correct, as I am learning they molt throughout the year. As a city girl, I am not up to speed on such facts. But I am learning quickly. 

No comments: