Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 19, 2023

Monday, June 19, 2023

Monday, June 19, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2005. Mattie was three years old. That spring, Peter's mom, mailed this cute whale kiddie pool to Mattie. It was the perfect size to fit on our deck. Mattie enjoyed water play, and typically the pool would be filled with all sorts of toys and creative play schemes would unfold. It is amazing all the fun we had on this deck, and it wasn't a very large space. Therefore the size of something is not what matters, but that connections, love, and memories that are made is what counts. We made plenty of wonderful memories at our townhouse in Washington, DC, and whenever I am in the city and drive by, I look up and remember our years with Mattie.  

Quote of the day: As you know, life is an echo; we get what we give. ~ David DeNotaris


If tonight's quote is accurate, then all I can say is I must have done something wrong. The day to day existence of being a caregiver is hard to describe. Of course in my perspective this isn't my first rodeo with caring for someone I love. I would have hoped that I served my time and then some given the heartache of watching Mattie endure cancer treatment and die. But there is so much about life that we have no control over, and despite the exhaustion and at times mixed emotions I manage, I can still see the kindness of those around me. 

Given that Peter was flying to Portland, Oregon today, I took my parents out for lunch. Otherwise, we are home all day, and that isn't a good plan for any of us. When we arrived at our table, Dawn surprised my dad with a stuffed monkey and a card of appreciation for Father's Day. 

We met Dawn in 2021, shortly after my parents moved here. Since my parents love going out to eat, I started to take them to different Clyde's restaurants in our area. One of which was in Reston, VA. It was at that restaurant we met Dawn. We have been connected with her ever since and she is so good with my dad that I now drive an hour to Maryland and back to see her. The original restaurant we met Dawn at, closed its doors in June of 2022. Most people wouldn't drive two hours in a day to see someone, but I would! Dawn has a way of getting my dad engaged, talking, and eating. So to me it is worth the trip! 

Dawn wrote in the card.... To My Favorite Dad!
See the mountain lion? Notice what is on his head! Yes a straw hat. Well here's the story on this. Peter saw this straw hat one day and placed it on one of the statues in the restaurant. However, when he does this, managers always see this and remove the hat later in the day. Today someone placed the hat on the cat! I noticed it immediately and sent a photo to Peter! Peter thinks this could be a social media ploy to get people into the restaurant to find where the hat is placed each day! In any case, the majority of people working and eating in the restaurant today did not see the hat on the cat AT ALL! Somehow this all made me laugh!



My exciting news is as of today, I have proceeded all 324 donations we received from the Foundation's Walk 2023. Every donor, sponsor, and raffle contributor has been acknowledged! I feel very proud of this accomplishment given what my days are like! Now I will be turning my attention to creating a Walk video this week. That is no easy task either, but I feel these videos are important for documentation purposes!   

No comments: