Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 18, 2023

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007, on Father's Day to be specific. Mattie was five years old, and that day we went for a Duck Tours ride in Washington, DC. The beauty of this tour is it covers both land and water. I thought Mattie would find the vehicle fascinating as how many terrain vehicles can also serve as a boat? The tour company gave us whistles in the shape of a duck's bill and while on the ride, it was a big adventure for all of us. 


Quote of the day: Is it possible to have a “Happy” Father’s Day after a loss of a child? Yes, but for very different reasons than most people think. The happiness comes into play when you reflect on the time you spent with your child, although you wished you had more time. You’re happy because it was an honor to be their dad. The love you feel inside for that child makes you smile and hurt at the same time. The happiness for these fathers does not come from a gift that was wrapped up real nice and given to them on this day. The happiness comes from the gift of being their dad. If you know a dad that has experienced the death of a child, don’t be afraid to reach out to him on this day or any day for that matter. As difficult of a day it is, he would love to hear from you. Someone acknowledging that he is a dad, a dad that has experienced the death of a child and is just trying to live a life to make his child proud. ~ Kelly Farley


This morning, Peter left the house at 7:20am, with our neighbor, Dave. Together they ran a 5k in honor of Father's Day. The race was called, Run with Dad 5K!

Since January, Peter has been committed to getting healthier, losing weight, and being more active. To date he has lost 26 pounds and began running each day for the last month. 


Given all I am balancing at home, I unfortunately could not go to the event. But I am glad Peter took photos! Ironically the race color this year was ORANGE! Seems to me that this was a direct sign from Mattie! 

Peter ran the 5K, or 3 miles, in 25 minutes. For someone who is not a runner, this seems rather impressive to me. 
Peter --- at the finish line! I have to say that in all the years we have been married, this is a first for me. Typically we have experienced events, activities, and issues together. Since my parents have moved in, our lives have completely changed. My days and evenings are fully occupied by my parents. There is no time for myself and certainly no time for Peter and me as a couple. Therefore, Peter has worked on finding outlets that are positive and life affirming. As there is not much happiness and joy in our home. 
When Peter came home this morning, I had him go in our backyard so I could snap some photos. This was Peter's first 5K, it is monumental that he has lost so much weight, feels better about himself, and can easily run 3 miles without a problem. 
Naturally, it being Father's Day, makes it a problematic day for Peter and therefore for me. I have not forgotten our loss, how childhood cancer has affected our lives, and perhaps the loss of Mattie and seeing the significant decline in my parents, compounds the sadness, depression, and existential trauma. 
As my lifetime friend Karen said today.... Sunny looks so proud of Peter's accomplishment. 
A close up of the t-shirt, medal, and racing bib. 

No comments: