Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 6, 2024

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. That day we were headed to celebrate Mattie's 5th birthday at the National Zoo. When I am telling you the weather was horrible, I am not kidding. It was pouring ALL day. I thought the party was going to be a total disaster. The Zoo's policy was events were rain or shine. They had an indoor space for cake and gatherings, but then we all went for a walk around the Zoo with a guide. I advised parents to dress their children for rain with boots and umbrellas. I thought all the animals would be hiding and that the tour was going to be a total flop!! Turns out the kids thought it was a fun adventure, the Zoo wasn't crowded because of the rain, and the animals were out frolicking in the water. It was a success and Mattie had a wonderful time. That day taught me that something negative, can turn out to be a positive. 


Quote of the day: There’s such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware that it comes with an unbearable price. ~ Dean Koontz


My mom showed me this message she saw on Facebook today. Naturally it resonated with me. Though I am not writing in this public forum about my daily life, I assure you it is absolutely hellish since Peter left. The pain that I endure each day, perhaps can be someone else's guide one day, but right now, I am too devastated and can only manage on a day by day basis. 
For some reason, something compelled me to go outside into the backyard today. Thankfully I did. I quickly noticed this pile of mud and what you may not see was water was bubbling out of the ground. With no end in sight! 

Truthfully I panicked. I did not know what to do or who to call. I text messaged our plumber. YES, he and I get along that well! He helped me determine whether it was a house or sprinkler problem. He directed me to shut off the water to the house. He taught me how to do that the last time he was over. So I did that, then he said go upstairs and turn the sink on and then turn the sink on in the basement. This helps to drain out the water from the system. While the sinks were running, he had me go outside. The water was still coming out of the ground at a clip! So we determined that it wasn't a house issue, but a sprinkler issue. Our landscaper came on Tuesday and turned on the sprinklers for the season. Yet he did not spot this issue on Tuesday. Which means that while the lawn was mowed on Friday, the machine must have hit a sprinkler head. My plumber advised me to shut off the sprinkler valve, because I would have a high water bill if I continued to let this go on throughout the weekend. LOVELY... I had to first find the shut off valve. 

When the landscaper was here on Tuesday, he pointed to where the shut off valve was for the sprinklers. So I went to the front lawn, opened this hatch door and low and behold I saw this yellow lever. I shut it! Viola the water in the backyard stopped bubbling from the ground. It is definitely a sprinkler problem and I will be on this landscaper's case on Monday. Another thing I can add to my resume. 

I couldn't find a soul to help me. Many companies are closed on Saturday and don't answer their phones! So necessity is indeed the mother of invention. 

Later today my mom wanted to go out for a snack. I wanted frozen yogurt and she wanted to go back to Starbuck's because she wanted hot tea. Truthfully I had a mini meltdown. As everything is always about her! Then she threatened me that she would stay home. I said that was her decision, but Daddy and I were going out. My mom has a huge fear of missing out, so I knew she wouldn't stay home alone. Sure enough she got her coat on and came with us. My mom admitted in the car that she truly can't handle the stress of our daily life. I absolutely understand, as I am living a soap opera (which isn't clear to my readers, because I am not writing the details of my existence here), and this is hard to take for an 88 year old. It is also hard for a parent to see their child suffering so traumatically. Therefore, I try to be compassionate, because I know her acting out and constant laments are her way of trying to manage stress, anxiety, and fear over what is happening to my life. 

No comments: