Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 3, 2024

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. This was the photo my mom took of us just before Mattie's second birthday party got underway. The theme that year was trains.... as Mattie had a fascination with all sorts of locomotion. By that year, Mattie actually understood what was going to happen at a birthday party, and truly enjoyed the attention and all the company and games. 


Quote of the day: I loved you your whole life. I’ll miss you for the rest of mine. ~ Unknown


On birthdays, holidays, and other milestones, we visited Mattie's memorial paver at the hospital. Once Sunny came into my life, he joined me on these visits. Sunny had a sixth sense. He seemed to understand that he had to be patient and sit. That day, Sunny sat with his paws on Mattie's paver. It is hard to believe that Mattie is gone, Sunny is gone, and the beautiful man (Tim Mooney) who arranged for this paver to be created and placed by the hospital entrance are now all gone from me life! Gone too soon. 

Today marks the 12th week of Sunny's death. 


This evening, I went to my weekly therapy session. I come into the session each week wound tighter than a top. I am sure I am a bundle for the therapist as I am facing another great tragedy in my life and I am heart broken, filled with anxiety, and at times deeply saddened. As our session went on, I mentioned to her that tomorrow, Mattie would be 22 years old. It is hard to believe Mattie would have been graduating from college this spring. But unfortunately I missed so many opportunities and years with him. For me, we never got past kindergarten. In my mind Mattie is forever 7. In any case, the therapist asked how I acknowledged Mattie's birthdays once he died. 

I explained that pretty soon after Mattie died, I couldn't stand remaining in Washington, DC for Mattie's birthdays. I am not sure what I was expecting from friends and his support community. After all, you can't have cake, balloons, and fun. In any case, I always felt that no one could appreciate the heartache of such a birthday, so the best way to handle it was to get out of town. Peter and I would go to Florida or other destinations and try to honor Mattie's life in our own way. Getting away enabled us to separate from those who knew us, we got away from the potential of being saddened by others in our life, and the possibility of being disappointed from unmet expectations. Once COVID hit, going away wasn't possible. So instead, we would walk and visit Mattie's tree, the hospital memorial paver, and a memorial brick at the church where Mattie's funeral was held. 

However, I told the therapist tonight that with my current situation and managing my parents' care, I did not plan to do anything on Mattie's birthday. In all reality if that was my ultimate decision, I am sure Mattie would have forgiven me. But while talking about Mattie in the session, I began to cry. Understand that I am not a crier. So if I am crying, watch out. That means I am on overload. As the therapist knows, I do not have time to have a pity party, to cry, or to feel anything right now. There is JUST NO TIME. I am too busy putting out one crisis after the other at home. Yet as I reflected on Mattie's birthday, I decided, I am going to do what is right and every one else is going to take a number. 

So I came home, made dinner, and pulled out the cupcake ornaments I bought for Mattie's tree last year. I strung them with ribbon and tomorrow I will be tying ribbons around Mattie's memorial trees and decorating the official tree with ornaments. Regardless of the weather, I will be out there, because the one thing I did right in life was I had Mattie. Mattie was my life's greatest teacher and through his amazing life and death, I have used these lessons to help thousands of children through his Foundation. His life deserves acknowledgment and his memory deserves to be honored and preserved. 

No comments: