Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 31, 2024

Friday, May 31, 2024

Friday, May 31, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2005. Mattie was three years old and that afternoon he was enjoying his time on our deck. I can't tell you how many things this small deck held, everything from a frog sandbox, a pool, to a table and chairs and a BBQ. We made great use of this small space and I always called it my secret garden in the city. Love that smile!


Quote of the day: There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream — whatever that dream might be.Pearl S. Buck


It was another busy day on the farm. After dropping my dad off at his memory care center, I went grocery shopping, got home put it away, dealt with laundry, and then did my follow up call to Amgen. Just as a recap, I have been working for the past three weeks trying to get access to my $1,500 copay for the drug, Prolia. My copay was sent to the wrong company, and trying to get my money back has been a total nightmare. When I tell you I have been on the phone for hours to address this issue, is NO exaggeration. Last week, I spoke to the specialty pharmacy that was the recipient of my $1,500. I was on the phone with them for three hours. YES three hours. They assure me that they returned my copay to Amgen, however, guess what? As of today, Amgen still can't find the $1,500! When I tell you I almost done with this, I am not kidding. I can see why some patients may just give up and pay the $1,800.

Any case, today the representative on the phone was delightful. She could see my call history to Amgen, and how diligently I have been working to get this resolved. She put me on hold and she immediately contacted her supervisor. Make a long story short, she and the supervisor will be getting back to me and are escalating my issue up the food chain. I have supplied all the documentation they need and they understand the problem accurately. When I tell you this was a refreshing conversation versus the one I had last week with the specialty pharmacy, I am not kidding. So today, I am thankful to Autumn, the drug company representative. 

Mid-day, I took my mom to Starbucks. I am there so many times a week, that I know the manager, everyone working there, and I even know the regular customers. I am very grateful that everyone working in this store is kind and truly customer focused. They know my routine so well that on days I have my dad in tow, they remind about things, I may have forgotten to order. I know this all sounds crazy, but Starbucks has become our therapy. It gets us out of the house, we try to put our stresses, sadness, fear, and anxieties on hold to regroup. Some days, my mom and I talk about what's going on, and some days, one or both of us gets upset. But overall, it is a time where we can just be, without having to focus on my dad, his bathroom trips, and countless needs. 

When we go to Starbucks, I have always have a book with me. I am trying to digest this one book on ambiguous grief. I take it a little bit at a time, as I sometimes agree with the content and other times I just pause and say.... really? Today, however, the chapter I was reading about was talking about external hope versus intrinsic hope. Hope is one of those tricky concepts for the ambiguous griever. Because we haven't lost someone to death, our loved one is still alive, therefore most of us live in hope. Hope may look different for each ambiguous griever, but the bottom line this author was making was that the only way to stabilize and move forward with such a trauma is to transition from external hope (which are things we hope for that are out of our control) to intrinsic hope (things we do for ourselves and what we have control over). I have been absorbing these concepts of hope for several days now. Given that her book is based on a study of 400 ambiguous grievers, what she is reporting and her insights do capture my attention. 

I am one of the people she discussed in her chapter who cycles between external and internal hope. I can wholeheartedly identify that in myself, but what I do know is that I have internal resources. Whether I want them or not, I developed them tenfold when Mattie died. Therefore, trauma, grief, and such pain are not new concepts to me. This does position me in a better place than the average ambiguous griever. So leave it to my life's greatest teacher, Mattie, for helping me once again. As I need to dig deep once again and focus on what I do have, what I do bring to the table, and what I can control in my life. That is today's positive spin. However, it could change tomorrow. 

Three things I am grateful for:

1. Fresh herbs! I used many of the herbs I am growing in the backyard tonight to create dinner. Fresh basil in the corn and chopped into the baked flounder and fresh mint chopped into the string beans. 
2. I received this beautiful and heartfelt card from my cousin Maureen. Maureen has been a part of my daily journey for 15 years now! She is a loyal blog reader and an incredible lifelong caregiver. We have mutual appreciation for each other.  

3. I am thankful for Autumn at Amgen, for her listening today, reviewing my file, and advocating for my case behind the scenes! 

No comments: