Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 30, 2024

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2005. What I love about this photo was it captured how Mattie felt about the stroller! I will never forget that we bought about five different strollers once Mattie was born. Mainly because I was desperate to find a form of locomotion he would tolerate. I couldn't always hold him, sometimes I needed my hands free! Turned out no matter how elaborate or simple the stroller, Mattie did not want to sit in it, ever! When we would take Mattie for walks, we took a stroller along, because at some point he wouldn't want to walk on his own. However, the only thing I would say about the stroller was it got good exercise from being pushed, not rode!


Quote of the day: No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.Faraaz Kazi


This morning I met a friend at my local Starbucks. Something I rarely do! Prior to going, my mom had her physical therapy appointment. Today she was getting discharged from in-home physical therapy, which she has been doing since February. Thank goodness I was present for the appointment, as the therapist needed my help with completing paperwork and logistics. My mom can no longer do this on her own. In addition, I would say my mom is pretty strung out now as she sees what is happening with my own life, and it saddens her. 

When I left the house, my dad was headed for his physical therapy session. His therapist has been working with him for a year now, so she knows the drill. She also wants to support me leaving the house for a minute on my own. You would think that on my own, I would feel edgy, or worried about what is happening at home when I am not there. Honestly in my better days, I probably would have been, but now, I am so stressed out, that I am very good at blocking one thing out and jumping to something else. Perhaps that is a protective factor, I don't know, but it probably explains how I can manage so much trauma and stress on a daily basis. Because it is impossible to sit with what I am contending with 24/7!

This evening some neighbors got together. I decided to go. Honestly I need to follow my gut. My gut said don't go, and I listen and follow that feeling. For the most part, I find no comfort in associating with others. They can't possibly understand what is in my mind and heart (not that I share it), nor the grief I live with on a daily basis. In fact, the only thing this gathering did was further confirm for me.... I am different!!! I don't have children, I can't discuss schooling, internships, or even making dinner for the family. In fact, to add to that, other than my parents, I have lost the core family that I once knew and loved. So overall, NO I will not be taking part in such gatherings again. If it doesn't make me feel good, if it isn't supportive and nurturing, then I am just NOT doing it. 

The three things I am grateful for (and today I really have to dig deep, because the world looks gray to me):

  1. I am having issues with the pool equipment. It was making a terrible grinding sound. I was sure something was wrong, which of course would mean something else I needed to FIX. I text messaged the daughter of the company's owner. She is absolutely fabulous, competent, and professional. She quickly came over, diagnosed the problem, and thankfully I just had to put more water in the pool. For now, a crisis has been adverted. I am very grateful for Ellery's kindness, and when I experience such kindness and help I take notice. 
  2. This morning an alarm went off in the house, which reported that there was smoke in our second floor hallway. Literally dealing with such stuff frazzles me out. My mom was screaming and upset and of course I had to remain calm and work the problem. I went into the attic and quickly assessed all the rooms in the house. There was NO smoke and I have no idea why this happened. But as quickly as it started, it also quickly resolved itself. I am grateful for small miracles. 
  3. Always I am grateful for friends who reach out and having friends who are walking this journey with me. 

No comments: