Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 26, 2024

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2004. Mattie was two years old and where ever I was.... so was he! Mattie loved when I picked him up and we danced together. Which is what you are seeing in this photo! Notice who Mattie was paying attention to.... not the camera, but to me! We had a very special connection, an unbreakable bond, we had very similar personalities and temperaments, and he was a fierce ally. 





Quote of the day: Heaven doesn’t ignore cries of a broken heart. Toba Beta


In between tasks inside, I find that I escape to the garden to be one with myself. Away from demands, away from the TV, and in the wide open, not confined by walls. Last night, I spent hours in the front yard cleaning up the roses. When we bought this house in 2021, I was drawn to this particular house because of the land. The previous owners clearly loved plants and trees and someone thoughtfully started their gardens. However, they were not maintained well. This is where we came in! Peter planted roses in front of the house. They are a wonderful pop of color, but they require work. Given that I haven't been the one maintaining the gardens, Peter was, I have had a lot added to my plate this year. But I take it one flower bed and area at a time. Of course my joke is I can weed one day and the next day more weeds pop up and are staring at me! 

I can't think of my front walkway, without thinking of this watercolor created by a local artist, Kim Richards. I was in the process of commissioning Kim to generate four paintings of our home for our family room. As soon as Peter left in September, I put a permanent halt to this wonderful project. One of Kim's paintings was going to feature the front of the house with my Sunny! Sunny has left an enormous hole in my life and house. 

I snapped several photos of the gardens today! This is another one. This orange chair came with the house. However, it wasn't positioned here. Nor was it orange. It used to be a green chair. I had Peter paint it orange and move it to the patio area. Originally this chair was off in the bushes which are pictured below (where the oak leave hydrangeas are). 

Peter planted this rose garden for me. This requires a lot of work and maintenance. But it is a beautiful area and I can't tell you how much the birds love the fountain in the rose garden. They are all around me while I am snipping roses.
I am working on this area. We planted roses here this spring. When they fill in, it will look so much better. 











 
These roses were planted last year. They were as small as the roses I planted above. So once the above area grows in, it should hopefully look just like this one. 
The previous owner planted oak leave hydrangeas all around the property. They are a beautiful green screen and they bloom all summer long. The orange Adirondack chair (above) once sat in an amongst these hydrangeas. 
The sunny hibiscus are happy in the backyard. I planted them a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I bought them because of the name... "Sunny." A tribute to my beautiful tan and white boy! Never forgotten. 

Three things I am grateful for:

1. My gardens.
2. Sleeping in today until 7:30am!
3. Chatting with Cheryl, who is a fabulous person and server at a restaurant we visit every Sunday. 

My current life is very isolating, therefore, the people I interface with at Starbuck's and at restaurants, become part of my weekly network. I am sure they are unaware of how much their kindness, a smile, or a thoughtful gesture means to me. They are diversions from my daily misery, abandonment, and grief. I think the moral of the story is when we communicate with others, we need to be cognizant of the fact that our connection with another person maybe the only meaningful or thoughtful communication in that person's day. When you look at it this way, it does make you want to be more intentional about what you say and how you act. 

No comments: