Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2024

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2005. Mattie was three years old. This whale of a pool was given to Mattie by Peter's mom. He enjoyed this pool so much on his trips to Boston, that she gave it to Mattie to use whenever he wanted. I can't tell you how many times we were out on this deck, playing, during all seasons of the year! Truly it isn't the size of the space that matters, it is the time and creativity you share together. Life with Mattie was filled with activity, learning, and exploration. He will forever be missed. 




Quote of the day: The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever. Carroll Bryant


This morning my dad's physical therapist came over for a session. Though I have to get up early in order to make these Saturday sessions happen, it is worth it, because it gives me the opportunity to interact with someone and to have a diversion from my usual nightmare. Weekends are very hard times for me because there is less structure and I have my dad full time along with my mom. 

As summer is quickly approaching, it makes me remember many of my summer trips to the beach with Peter. When I reflect on these moments, it is almost like someone has stabbed me in the heart. I literally have physical pain just thinking that I will never have these moments again. In addition, I am working on a 15th anniversary video for the Foundation. Naturally in order to do this, it requires me to cull through many, many photos. When I look at them, I ask myself how did all of this happen in my life? How did I get to where I am now? I have no answers.

So overall, it has been a hard day emotionally, but of course I can't retreat. By mid-afternoon, my mom wants to go out. Given that the weather is beautiful, I decided to take them for frozen yogurt. When we got to the store, it was super crowded and there was no place to sit. Therefore, I did not even get my dad out of the car. Instead, I kept driving and took them to Dairy Queen.

I have been a big Dairy Queen for years. That too reminds me of all my beach trips with Peter. It used to be the highlight of my summer. Now it is simply bittersweet. 

My brownie batter blizzard. If you have never had a blizzard, I highly recommend you try it! 
My dad is not into blizzards, but instead wanted a sundae. He is all about the peanuts. Dairy Queen uses Spanish peanuts and my dad loves them. They are a little smaller and have a nuttier flavor. 
Three things I am grateful for:

1. A Dairy Queen Blizzard
2. Sitting outside with Indie, the cat!
3. Seeing butterflies and hummingbirds in my gardens. Mattie is with me. 


No comments: