Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 20, 2024

Monday, May 20, 2024

Monday, May 20, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. That weekend we took Mattie to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland. This is an incredible and must see experience. I read about it and insisted we visit! So basically you have to walk a mile through the woods first. The trail is beautifully wooded, and filled with wonderful wildlife, that leads to this beach. This beach is known for its fossilized sharks teeth. Honestly I couldn't believe this was the case until I saw it! Mattie was on a mission and we did not leave until teeth were dug up and found! It is a great spot to take young kids and it makes for a memorable family day. Life was so different then and I did not realize how lucky I was!


Quote of the day: I’d rather have a broken arm than a broken heart. Christie Brinkley


I literally was so exhausted from yesterday and my daily routine that I did not get up until 7:30am! This is unheard of for me since my parents have moved in with me. I knew I needed rest, which was why I canceled my mom's physical therapy session this morning. This afternoon, both of my parents had their annual eye doctor appointments. I love my eye doctor. He is witty, humorous, and an all around good guy. In any case, he is a keen observer of what I do for my parents and basically told me outright today that they are doing so well because of me. What an astute fellow! I never told him that they live with me or that I care for them around the clock. But somehow he put the pieces together. 

My dad can not answer a solitary question about himself. He has no idea what medication he takes, he has no idea how his eyes are, and truly he can't answer any medical questions posed to him. I am his memory! It is a very large responsibility and I do this for both parents daily, around the clock. 

What I came to the conclusion though is how a doctor's office treats us (both staff and doctor) can make a difference in my mood. Trust me it is hard enough getting my parents to the office on time, but when I have to go on the defensive, it makes life much more complicated. Today was a positive experience, so much so that my dad said.... "I like this doctor." My dad may have lost his memory, but he is still a keen observer and just when I think he isn't absorbing anything, he surprises me. 

I came home and spent some time outside weeding and watering flowers. I even served dinner outside on our porch. A first for the season! This is also another big undertaking as my parents need seat cushions, tissue boxes, blankets, and my mom even needs a heating pad! YES even in the summer. 

It was also Indie's first time out for the season! She LOVES being outside and bird watching. 

I had one of Carolyn's red velvet cupcakes that she brought me on Saturday! Old habits die hard. I still cut my cupcake in half and eat it with a fork. I have to try the Oreo cookie technique of cutting off the bottom and smooshing it into the frosting. 


Three things I am grateful for today:

1. The kind and humorous eye doctor. 

2. Email and text messages from friends who realized what a tough day yesterday was for me. 

3. I went to bed last night communicating with my cousin Cheryl. She wrote to congratulate me on another great Walk. I confided in her how upset I was and disappointment in my technology challenges with Facebook Live and also not meeting the Foundation's $100K goal. There are many ways to respond to my lament. But basically Cheryl helped me lighten up on myself and made me see given all that I am facing, the fact that I was able to pull all of this off, manage my parents, and cope with what is happening in my personal life, is amazing. I can get absorbed in a downward spiral easily, but Cheryl's message made me take a pause, which helped me reset and I eventually went to sleep. 

No comments: