Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 29, 2024

Monday, July 29, 2024

Monday, July 29, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. Mattie was attending his preschool classmate's birthday party! It was a gymnastic party and Mattie was one of the few boys. That did not bother Mattie whatsoever. He had a great time with friends, running around, and was happy to be included in the festivities!



Quote of the day: Come back! Even as a shadow, even as a dream. ~ Euripides


I did several chores today and then mid-day took my mom to Starbuck's. It was crowded today and at one point an older lady came to sit down near us. She was lonely and started talking. She was telling me about the veins in her legs, her knee pains, and then told me about the loss of her grandson (at the age of 20). I shared nothing about myself. Instead I just listened to her and commented on what she was saying. What was running through my mind was.... there but for the grace of God go I! With age, not being married and not having Mattie, I can see my life looking a lot like this woman's. In fact, I have befriended other older ladies at Starbuck's and have helped them on various occasions. One of them is adorable and she always tells me I am so nice. If they only knew the chaos inside my head. How I haven't snapped is an amazement!

While at Starbuck's I continued reading the book I started a while ago about ambiguous grief. The grief we experience when the person we love hasn't died, but is still alive and estranged from us. The author mentioned the comment..... You are as sick as your secrets. This is an adage used in Alcoholics Anonymous. Basically it means that a secret kept in the dark grows and becomes more harmful, but once it is exposed to light or released, its power is lost. I think this is a brilliant statement and it applies to ANY secret, not just to addiction.   

When I came home today, I was surprised by cards and wonderful loose leaf tea. I am a big tea drinker, and it is the one nice perk (in addition to chocolate) that I look forward to each day. 

I am so grateful to have the best of friends who look out for me through cards, gifts, food, and gift cards! Not sure where I would be without all of you.

My friend Christine is visiting Seattle. She sent me this glorious photo today! Sunflowers are the quintessential symbol of Team Mattie. They will always remind me of the strong community that supported me through the impossible.... Mattie's diagnosis and death. This community is once again activated to help me manage through each day I face now without Peter. 


No comments: