Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2024

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Tuesday, July 16, 2024 -- Mattie died 772 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was a year old and it was his first trip to the Outer Banks. Given the heat, we were all inside for a bit and Mattie pulled out his favorite book and was looking at it on the couch. It was Goodnight Moon. Here's the thing about this classic. It was given to me by one of my mentors at the George Washington University. When I gave birth to Mattie, he gave me many things for Mattie and then many gifts to me over the years before he died. Mattie loved the book and the illustrations. We read it so so often, that Peter and I could recite it from memory....... "in the great green room there was a telephone and red balloon."


Quote of the day: If you start to miss me, remember: I didn’t walk away, you let me go. ~ Unknown


I woke up this morning and my friend in England, who is enduring a similar journey as me, sent me this photo. She and I live each day in utter confusion and despair. We have been writing to each other daily for months now. I end my day by writing to her and she starts her day by writing to me. In addition, we are both also caregiving for parents. I am grateful for this connection because what we are facing is excruciatingly painful.
I did one chore after the other day. When I went to check the mail, I received this adorable surprise from Cheryl. She knows how much I love orange and birds and this cutie was hand painted. Isn't the dried flower bookmark beautiful? Cheryl knows the right words to say, just when I need them. 

I am so grateful to have Cheryl's support and the support of those close to me and also from my readers, many whom I have never met in person. Each message, gift, and word of kindness can make a dark day more bearable. 

Today I hit a whole new low today and part of me can't understand how Peter has no interest to talk with me. No interest to explain what is going on, and most of all I am perplexed, after 36 years together, I am not even missed by him. As if my presence in his life meant nothing. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Between yesterday and today, I have had a lovely email conversation with a former student of mine. I am very proud of Ariel, as she became a nurse and now a nurse practitioner. She knew Mattie and has been part of my journey since Mattie was diagnosed. So that is 16 years of staying connected. To me that is noteworthy, because in today's day and age, it is very easy to lose touch, and for people to go separate ways. This tells you a lot about Ariel's character and commitment to people in her life. NO WONDER SHE BECAME A NURSE! 

Today was a dark day and I wrote to Ariel that as her former teacher, it should be me reaching out to her and supporting her. Yet for years now, she has been so kind to me. Here is how she responded to my reflection.................. 

Not only did I learn from you when you taught me at GW, but I have learned SO much over the years by reading your blog throughout Mattie's journey, much of which I have used in my career both as a nurse for 10 years and now as a nurse practitioner. I continue to learn very difficult, but important lessons from you daily.  I want you to know that no matter what I will be here to support you and cheer you on in any way I can!

I posted Ariel's comment here because I plan to re-read it many times. Truthfully on some days, it is the beautiful messages I receive that get me through the day. 

No comments: