Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 18, 2013

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. What I love about this photo was it captured Mattie's spunk, flexibility, and sense of humor. Mind you his right leg had a CAST on it. That did not stop him from flinging both legs in the air and over his head while sitting on his hospital bed! I also love his left eye peaking out at me, because as always he had ONE eye on me most times. Sometimes I wasn't sure who was watching who....... was I watching Mattie or was he watching over me?!!!





Quote of the day: Tragedy was like that, a razor that sliced through time, severing the now from the before, incising the what-might-have-been from reality as cleanly as any surgeon's blade. ~ Kristin Hannah


Tonight I am posting an article from the Boston Globe about the eight year old boy, Martin Richard, who lost his life at the Boston Marathon. Seeing his picture makes the reality EVEN worse and very real. He had life in his eyes and was a cutie. I did not realize that his mom and sister were also injured in the explosion. In the article, they interviewed a 10 year old girl who went to school with Martin. She was asked how she felt, and she naturally said, "scared" but then she said "I never know where they are.” Her mother clarified the statement by saying that her daughter meant.... “Where the bad people are.” What a commentary, that at age 10, this young girl understands this concept. The concept is something that we as adults have trouble accepting and that is we are NOT in control and our fate is out of our hands.
Martin Richard now a symbol: http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/04/16/dorchester-neighbors-mourn-martin-richard-year-old-boy-killed-boston-marathon-bombings/keiXi55ZFf2YGityy16EuN/story.html

After Mattie's battle with cancer and certainly his death, all of this changed me. Naturally that probably makes sense to some extent, but some of the changes are radical. I no longer like large groups of people and forget about crowds. Being in a large crowd is not only overwhelming to me auditory wise but I do not like feeling trapped in a space with a lot of people. I am not saying I can't do this, I can if I have to, but it isn't something I would gravitate to. Of course after seeing Monday's nightmare, it only further feeds my dislike for crowds. 

It has been another day stuck in front of the computer. I am working on all sorts of things for the Foundation Walk and today Peter and I launched our 30 day countdown campaign to the Walk on Facebook. I have been counseled on the benefits of using social media for promoting the Walk. This will be our first year having such a significant Facebook presence, and only time will tell whether this is a valuable way of generating Walk registrations and naturally funds toward our $40,000 financial goal.

 

No comments: