Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 15, 2014

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on Father's Day of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that day I decided to take Peter on a DC Ducks tour of Washington, DC. I figured it would be something both Peter and Mattie would enjoy since this particular bus does a land and aquatic tour. Literally with the bus driving into the Potomac River and transforming into a boat. Mattie loved the tour part but after the tour we decided to take Peter to lunch at a roof top restaurant in DC. That part did not go too well and somehow the afternoon which should have been special landed up feeling like we had been through a hurricane filled with emotions. At the time I thought that was a challenging Father's Day. Of course in comparison, seven years later, we evaluate Father's Day in a completely different light. Not having Mattie around and being able to share in the context of the day like most other parents in the world is a reality check. Holidays call out our differences in profound ways, which is why we usually avoid going out on these days. 


Quote of the day: When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry. ~ William Shakespeare


Being away from our garden for a week, made today the perfect day to spend in it. It was a wonderful weather day to spend outside tending to all our plants and tomatoes. When we first moved to Washington, DC, years ago we purchased lilies. To this day, these lilies still bloom for us. Every year around Father's Day to be exact! Which is why we call them our "Father's Day Lilies!" Of course when we moved here, Peter wasn't a dad yet. When Mattie came into our lives, these lilies had a greater significance for us. They would open up as a Father's Day gift and Mattie enjoyed seeing this treat as well! Mattie is no longer around to call attention to these gifts for us, but today I had Peter take a photo of them! They are glorious!

Peter went to the grocery store this morning. When he came back he told me that people in the store wished him a happy Father's Day! I suppose it is natural to wish a man with a wedding ring, who is a certain age, a happy Father's Day! I know it happens to me if I go out on Mother's Day! If I should happen to be out. I of course do not react well to people wishing me a Happy Mother's Day! I feel mortally wounded, but when Peter told me the story, the first thing that came out of my mouth was..... "I am happy they wished you a Happy Father's Day! You are always a dad and were the best dad." I am not sure why I said that, because if someone said that to me, I most likely would have smacked them! It is ironic how I can interpret the comment for Peter and how I interpret the same thing quite differently for myself! I do not think I mean any harm for Peter, but I guess a part of me just feels like I want him to appreciate who he is or was. I can help him do that, whereas I can't do that for myself. It is too close to home. If that makes any sense at all. 

When we visited the Elizabethan Gardens in the Outer Banks, I mentioned that we bought a Ginger White Butterfly Lily! Well this is it! We repotted it today and it now sits on our deck. We shall see how it goes. The assistant manager of the garden told us that when it blooms it has an amazing flower with an intoxicating fragrance. I look forward to finding out. Either case this is a wonderful living memento from our trip. 

No comments: