Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 4, 2018

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2009. At that point in time Mattie was very ill. He was in constant pain, having trouble breathing, and days later we learned of his terminal disease status. It always makes me pause and wonder.... how did Mattie manage all of this and yet find the strength and energy to smile, to play, and to interact with us? I have no answers! 

As you can see Mattie was surrounded by many of his things. Including a construction paper roach, who took a seat on our couch. In Mattie's hands, he was holding a huge fly swatter. A gag gift he received at his 7th birthday party. In this particular case, Mattie was swatting at me, so I couldn't move closer to the couch to remove the roach.  Mattie always got a chuckle at my reaction whenever a saw a bug.


Quote of the day: Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. It’s a sign that you have a big heart, and that you aren’t afraid to let others see it. Showing your emotions is a sign of strength. Brigitte Nicole


I believe the premise of this quote is exactly right... it takes a great deal of strength to express one's feelings. Mainly because revealing how you feel requires you to be vulnerable, to not have all the answers, and to be truthful. Which is why many people are hesitant to be sensitive or focus on emotional content. The issue with sensitivity presents itself in our everyday lives, but I would say it is heightened when dealing with the medical profession. 

Part of the problem with healthcare today is that doctors forget they are working with people. The other problem is they are balancing way too many patients and therefore do not have the time to dedicate to "small talk." Talk that actually provides more data about the presenting issue, but also sets the foundation for a healthy human connection. There is a great deal to be said about the healing power of this human connection. Knowing that you aren't alone and that you are being heard on your journey to physically feeling better. 

This week, Peter went for an annual health exam. As he was tired of seeing my doctor, I suggested he see someone else. Someone who I went to years ago, after I gave birth to Mattie. In fact, this doctor also cared for my parents whenever they were visiting from Los Angeles. So all three of us like him. When I caught up with Peter today about his overall experience with this doctor, I was thrilled to hear about the doctor's sensitivity. A quality I remembered about him years ago. 

In most medical intake forms, the question always arises as to whether you have children or not. I honestly do not know how to answer this question. Mainly because there isn't an appropriate answer choice on the form for us. But Peter answered the question factually.... he wrote in, yes but that Mattie died from osteosarcoma. I can't tell you how many doctors offices I have written about child loss on the form and in ALL cases, the doctor neither reviews the form or even mentions this loss. 

Which is why what happened in Peter's doctor visit this week caught my attention. The doctor actually sat down, got to know Peter, and they reviewed his forms together. All I can say is wow! Then the doctor took this a step further. When he saw Peter's response to whether he had children or not, the doctor  paused when he saw the answer. This doctor not only read the form but then processed it. He told Peter he was very sorry to hear about the loss of Mattie. Instead of saying something trite, his next words were..... How are you doing with this loss? 

I think that is a very interestingly worded question. Mainly because what it implies to me is the doctor realizes that the grief from child loss is not short term, but rather something you live with your entire life. In any case, this doctor and Peter develop an instant rapport and guess what? If the rapport is there and you feel like your doctor is listening to you, the more compliant a patient will be to come back for check ups and to call if not feeling well. Ironically, you want to know how I met this doctor to begin with? He was referred to me by Mattie's pediatrician, soon after Mattie was born. If I dig deep enough, everything we do is connected to Mattie in some way. 

No comments: