Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 8, 2020

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Tonight's picture was sent to me by our Facebook friend, Tim. Tim lives in Arizona and we have never met him. Yet he creates beautiful photo creations and collages for hundreds of bereaved parents of children with cancer. He doesn't get paid, instead he does this on his own time and with his own resources. Over the years, I have learned that Tim is a volunteer at his local children's hospital and he has an only child of his own. A son, that reminds him of Mattie. 

I love this collage of Mattie! It is Mattie pre-cancer and Mattie after diagnosis. Despite the disease and its ramifications on him, the beauty of Mattie's face and smile didn't change. 




Quote of the day: Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. ~ Benjamin Franklin


I absolutely relate to Benjamin Franklin's quote. I happen to love to learn about subject areas that interest me and of course I am always intrigued by people. However, the ultimate way I learn is to 'involve me.' I appreciate hands on learning, because when I can apply concepts and theories, they come alive to me and I remember them. Back when I was in graduate school to become a professional mental health counselor, my faculty members did not educate me on the licensure process or its importance for that matter. This was something I had to figure out on my own. To become a licensed professional, besides applying and qualifying, you have to familiarize yourself with your state's laws and regulations. Again, it is one thing to read them, and quite another to have the ability to apply them on a monthly basis. Which is why I believe every professional should have the opportunity to serve on a licensure board at some point in their career. 

Which brings me to what I did today. I was appointed a while back to a DC licensing board. Today board members (from 166 boards) were asked to come in for an ethics training. It's a Saturday and as such, you would think people wouldn't want to be there and that they would not be engaged in a weekend training. I didn't observe any of that. People were genuinely happy to be there and to serve in their position. That caught my attention. It also helped that the staff were lovely and they were respectful of our time. 

When I was appointed to the board, the Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) did not exist. It was created under Muriel Bowser and it was helpful today to learn more about the office, what it does, and how board members can turn to this office for assistance.

Why does DC or any state for that matter need boards? Because boards provide guidance to the city/state. Licensing and regulatory boards have members with professional and personal expertise in a particular subject matter, and help to develop standards for licensed professions. Boards may also establish regulatory standards for professions and agencies.


I am not a big Valentine's Day person, but check out this postcard Peter and I got in the mail. It is from Union College, where we met! In all the years we have been married, we never received a Valentine's postcard!
How sweet it is to be loved by U. A great play on words, because it truly implies that the love goes both ways.... meaning that Union College loves us and we love Union College. Either case, after all these years, it is nice that they are aware of the fact that two of their graduates met on campus, fell in love, and remain married. 

No comments: