Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 12, 2024

Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday, January 12, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. Mattie was two and half years old and I remember this moment in time perfectly. Mattie just finished having a massive tantrum. Mattie's tantrums were intense and they could really get to me at times. However, I learned to remain calm and not to talk until he eventually stabilized. It was in that calm moment, that I lifted Mattie onto the counter and we had a meeting of the minds. After which, I got this cute smile! He was a priceless fellow. 


Quote of the day: If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life. ~ Roger Caras


In 2016, this was the face I saw on Facebook! I fell in love with Sunny's eyes. They practically jumped off the page at me. To me the eyes are indeed the windows of the soul, and I could tell that he was the dog for me. Thank goodness I trusted my gut instinct! It never is wrong and Sunny gave me seven amazing years. Life without him now is far from sunny. Sunny added incredible joy and happiness to our daily life. His sunny deposition had a way of transforming the most difficult of days. He was super sensitive and very intuitive and truthfully at times I felt like I was dealing with a human. I am not sure what part of my day now is the hardest. Definitely coming down the stairs in the morning and not seeing Sunny is horrific. Having breakfast, and not seeing that loving face looking at me is equally hard. But I would have to say I miss our nighttime hugs and cuddles. When everyone would go upstairs at night, this was my special one on one time with Sunny. In difficult moments, of which I have many, I always close my eyes and envision Sunny's beautiful eyes. Some people think of the mountains or the beach as their happy place, mine is remembering those beautiful big brown eyes and how soft and fluffy the fur was around Sunny's neck. UNFORGETTABLE!

I have several blog readers who have put two and two together and others who are just wondering what on earth is going on with me?! Certainly I am a caregiver, which is a role that is all consuming. But caregiving is NOT something new to me. I know what it entails and I am also very good at putting my own needs aside to assist others. What I haven't mentioned on the blog (until now) and won't go into detail for some time, is the simple fact that Peter left me on September 23. We have known each other for 35 years and have been through a lot together. Which is why his separation from me has been absolutely earth shattering. I will leave it at that, as I don't feel comfortable sharing more. But hopefully now that you read my words you can put into context how sad, lost, confused, and hopeless I feel. 

My mom and I went out to lunch today with my friend, Junko. I have known Junko since 2007. Her son and Mattie met one another in summer camp at their elementary school. Mattie was going to begin that school in the Fall of 2007, so I figured sending him to the school's summer camp would help him meet some of his classmates before school began. Mattie was shy coming into new situations, and I remember the first day I dropped him off at camp, he wanted me to come into the school's gym with him. The teacher however, did not want me to do that. By day two, I could tell Mattie was unhappy, so despite what the teacher requested, I marched right into the gym. I scanned around the room and saw most of the kids paired up. Except for one! Junko's son, Kazu. I took Mattie by the hand and went up to Kazu. I basically asked him if he knew anyone in the gym? He said no. So I introduced Kazu to Mattie. I suggested that they stick together that day in camp. Voila.... it worked! They became buddies and of course this is what brought Junko into my life. Isn't it funny how one connection can lead to another. 

Junko has always supported me and was a huge help when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. She would come to the hospital, bring me all sorts of treats and then would give me a neck and back massage. Truthfully all of Mattie's care providers knew Junko and were so grateful for the loving care she provided me. Junko and her mom also assembled 1,000 paper cranes for Mattie (each which comes with a special prayer and blessing). These cranes hung on Mattie's IV pole at every hospital admission. Now these cranes hang in my office. Here we are, 15 years later from Mattie's diagnosis, and once again, Junko is there to support me and to remind me that my friends love me and stand behind me always. 

When I returned home this afternoon, I found this beautiful blanket delivered to my doorstep by my good friend Mary Ann. She said.....

The words on this sunflower blanket are words of strength, of power, of affirmation. You've always had your voice and speak up when wrongs are done, but you've learned in therapy YOU ARE A WARRIOR - use these attributes as you heal and discover that your true friends are here by your side.

This blanket now sits on my side of the couch and the beautiful sunflowers (a forever symbol of Team Mattie) and its meaningful words I will take to heart on my many down moments.   


Junko shared many pastries with us today! Tonight I opted for chocolate. What I do know is I have cultivated the best of friends over my many years on this earth. I have to think that their love, care, and concern are a direct reflection on what I mean to them and what I have hopefully conveyed that they mean to me over all these years. 


No comments: