Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 10, 2024

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie was a year and half old and as you can see.... he was all business. He absolutely LOVED packing boxes and in so many ways I think he had more fun with them than playing with actual toys! 



In memory of Sunny Brown, who died today at 12:30pm, I post the Beautiful "Rainbow Bridge Poem."


Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

===================================


I would like to know why everyone I love leaves me? Today, I lost the best companion a person could ask for. Sunny was in my life for only seven years, but he transformed my life. His unconditional love, happiness and joy to be in my presence and our indescribable bond will remain forever etched in my mind. 

I stayed up until 2am with Sunny last night. He was miserable, couldn't get comfortable, was agitated, and only my presence and head rubs seemed to calm him down. I quarantined Sunny in the kitchen because I couldn't keep up with his vomiting and pooping. I did about seven loads of laundry yesterday, in my desperate attempt to keep him clean and not sitting in a mess. 

At 6am, I came downstairs to find vomit and soiled linens. I cleaned up Sunny, I cleaned the floor and started a load of laundry. As of Tuesday, Sunny consumed NOTHING. No water or food. His breathing was getting labored and his ability to walk was impaired.
Get the picture!? In fact, as death approaches the bodily smells are toxic. Literally I have been smelling them for the last three days. No matter how much I cleaned, this smell seems to linger in my mind and heart. Even tonight, I feel like I still smell these noxious odors. 
Check this out! No matter how sick and debilitated Sunny was, he always kept an eye on me. Not unlike Mattie! Every morning, when I would sit at our breakfast table, Sunny would look deep into my eyes through the sliding glass door. Today was NO different. Sunny and I had a routine. I also prepared homecooked food for him and always made extra for dinner, so I could give him a treat. When I tell you that I am disoriented tonight, I am not kidding. My whole routine is gone! I miss that wagging tail, that loving face, and those soulful eyes. With all the heartache in my life, Sunny was the one constant. The one living thing that loved me for who I was, who stood by my side no matter what. Sunny is irreplaceable. 
But this was how sick Sunny was! He was losing large amounts of blood. The smell was sickening and I was living in gloves and garbage bags since Saturday. I truly worked my tail off, but would do it without complaint, because that is what love is about! Keep in mind that in the midst of this, I was also juggling my parents full time care. 
This morning, Peter loaded Sunny into the back of our car. We put down towels and blankets. The Hope Center was wonderful and they came out with a gurney to help us transport Sunny. We landed up in a private room for the entire process. Putting an animal to sleep is ironically far more humane than watching a human die. Having done through this once before with our cat, Patches, I knew Sunny's death would be peaceful. 

Again, this was the hardest decision I had to make, as saying good-bye to Sunny was torture. I cried my head off all day, and I rarely cry. I have to be completely overwhelmed to let go like this, but frankly at this point, I am in such a low place, emotionally that my will to live is questionable. I live to care for my parents, otherwise, right now I see no purpose. 


Our vet tech, Christi had this quote on the back of her jacket. I asked her to turn around so I could snap a photo. I thought it was beautiful....

We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have!

I have been so stressed out that I felt both a migraine and an urinary tract infection come on at the same time. I thankfully have friends who are doctors who stepped in to help me and I am hoping the antibiotics kick in because at the moment I am physically and emotionally miserable. 

This evening, I started cleaning out some of Sunny's medicines and canned foods. All of which I will donate to the Hope Center. To me these things do not define Sunny and therefore removing them is not emotionally laden. 

Sunny's tags and collar are now on display in my office and we paid for Sunny to be cremated. His urn will come in the mail and we had to make a split second decision what we wanted written on the plaque. What I finally came up with was "Forever Our Sunman!" Sunny provided sunshine, joy, and happiness to my life. I can't imagine moving forward without his presence in my life. When I tell you I feel heart broken and devastated, I am being quite serious. I feel my heart literally aching over his death. In addition to my grief, Indie (the cat) is hysterical. She is clingy with me all day! Which is unlike Indie. But what I do know is animals are perceptive and she too is experiencing the loss of our Sunman. There is a gapping hole in my heart and our home seems incredibly empty already. 

No comments: