Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 11, 2024

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie was a year and a half old and I would say he was Mr. Curious! Curious, but yet had a healthy understanding for danger. As you can see Mattie was reaching for the stove (which wasn't on!), but was looking up at me first! Smart fellow! Because of this, we never really had to child proof our home. But then again, I was never too far away from Mattie for him to get into much trouble. 





Quote of the day: A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. ~ Josh Billings


Today was Day 1 without my Sunny! I had trouble sleeping and woke up at 4am. So much was running through my mind and a part of me was anxious about starting the day without seeing Sunny on our first floor. Every morning, regardless of how sick he was, he always saw me when I came down the stairs in the morning. He was a patient soul, as he knew Indie demanded food as soon as my feet hit the staircase. So Sunny would wait his turn and then look forward to my attention. In fact, as Sunny was getting sicker, he needed more of my time and attention in the morning. Literally I would wake up 45-60 minutes earlier in the morning, before I needed to get in the shower, to help Sunny by coaxing him to eat and take his pills. I miss my buddy, my true companion, and what I notice is now without him in my life, I don't have anything that really forces me to stop, take a minute, and do something other than chores and caregiving. Sunny was therapeutic for me, and I learned this early on as soon as we rescued him. Forget it, HE RESCUED ME! 

There is a part of the Rainbow Bridge poem that I posted last night that always gets to me.... 

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.


This portion of the poem highlights the incredible bond between a dog and his/her human perfectly. The dog maybe in heaven and happily playing, but on that fateful day when his human arrives in heaven, the dog comes running to be united with his one true love. Just reading this makes me cry, which I have been doing for two straight days now. Life without Sunny is miserable, as I feel like I lost a part of myself with him.

Two of my friends came over today, they brought lunch, and were supportive. It was a good visit. After they left, I went outside in the backyard to pick up sticks, branches, and tree limbs that fell in the yard from recent wind storms. What I immediately noticed was SUNNY WASN'T THERE! He used to be a permanent fixture on our lawn and if I was outside, sure enough he would be following me as I did chores. Today, like everyday moving forward, I walk alone. Devastated and missing my boy.


Meanwhile the doorbell rang today and I opened it up to find a beautiful flower arrangement from Cheryl, our cousin. She too has a dog named Sunny, and understands the heartbreak of losing a dog. The flowers, including sunflowers, mean so much to me, but it was the sentiments in her card that caught my attention. 

"You make this world a much better place -- Sunny knew this and so do I. You are loved by so many people."

No comments: