Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 9, 2024

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Tuesday, January 9, 2024 -- Mattie died 745 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. Mattie was 9 months old and fully on! He desperately wanted to walk and run. Thankfully we found this alternative, "tot wheels." It gave Mattie independent mobility, which he loved. Literally he would follow me all over the townhouse in this gadget! 


Quote of the day: To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice, though inasmuch as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman. ~ Hermione Gingold


On Labor Day weekend of 2016, Sunny came into our lives. I am NOT sure who rescued who! I found Sunny on Facebook, and we adopted him sight unseen! He was rescued from a high kill shelter in South Carolina. In fact, Sunny was found abandoned on a highway! The adoption process was significant. We had to apply, we had to be interviewed, we had a home inspection from the rescue organization, and our townhouse management had to write a letter in support of our adoption! So this wasn't a light or easy process. But given who entered our world, he was more than worth it! 

Do you believe in love at first sight?! Well I do! I took one look at Sunny's photo on Facebook and fell in love with him. No one seemed to want to adopt him because he was five years old, and people preferred younger dogs. I on the other hand, appreciated a more mature dog who did not need to be house broken and I did not want to contend with the puppy phase of development. 

Sunny was transported to Washington, DC in August of 2016. I was in Los Angeles with my parents and I couldn't pick him up. Thankfully a lovely woman named Leah fostered him for us until we could pick him up. Labor Day weekend we went to Leah's home (and mind you while in LA, she text messaged me photos and updates about Sunny's personality) to meet Sunny and take him home. When we walked into her living room, Sunny approached me first, wagged his tail and was looking for love. We then sat on the floor, and Sunny moved over to Peter and sat right in his lap. I viewed that as a big Sunny approval of both of us. Sunny quickly found his way into our hearts and he because such a vital part of our family that it was hard to imagine life without Sunny. In fact, many times I still have to catch myself, because I have to remember that Mattie never met Sunny. 

One thing that I quickly learned with Sunny was he was a herding dog and I was his sheep! He would follow me all over our townhouse. If I was upstairs, so was he, if I went downstairs, he was right behind me. But no matter the weather, Sunny wanted to get outside and explore. I learned to walk in the rain, snow, freezing cold, and even sweltering heat! I can't tell you how many miles we would walk on a daily basis and how many dogs and their owners I got to know along the way. ALWAYS when walking Sunny in the city people who stop me to say.... you have a beautiful dog! INDEED, inside and out. 

This photo was taken on one of our city walks, in front of the Kennedy Center!
A typical Sunny move... his downward dog! Alerting us he was ready to go for a walk or play!
It is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to put Sunny to sleep tomorrow. I can't tell you what a horrific decision this has been because I don't want to lose my true companion in life. Loyal, loving, and always happy to have me in his life. 

This morning, I came downstairs and one of our rooms looked like a crime scene. Filled with diarrhea. I smelled the issue before I saw it. In addition, Sunny is profusely vomiting today and is unable to consume water or any food. He is lame, disoriented, and tonight is having labored breathing. Though I can't part with Sunny, my desire for him to have a good quality of life, supersedes my needs. I won't see Sunny suffer any longer than necessary. 

Originally we were going to take Sunny in at 10am on Wednesday. But then I got a call from the vet's office today confirming Sunny's 'physical check up' appointment for noon. I am not sure what made me more upset. The fact that they got the time wrong or the fact that they thought this was a routine visit. Needless to say, I gave the woman on the phone a lesson in empathy and told her the staff needs to do their due diligence. Since I was very clear by email, phone messaging, and in making the appointment that the appointment was to euthanize Sunny. One doesn't need a medical degree to know that Sunny is dying and sensitivity to a pet owner who has used their oncology practice for two years would be appreciated. She got my point and understood that I was upset, as I told her this is the hardest decision a pet owner will ever have to make. 

Please think of our Sunny tomorrow at noon. Sunny and I have very intertwined lives and his pending loss in our home reminds me that this house has brought me nothing but misery. 

No comments: