Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 8, 2024

Monday, January 8, 2024

Monday, January 8, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie was a year and half old. One of the things Mattie loved to do was play with his videos. He would take them out of the cabinet, stack them, and create structures. These video cassettes were like building blocks and toys! Playing with these videos and their boxes were something Mattie did often as he was fascinated at an early age by how things worked and went together. Ironically my brain works very differently from Mattie's, which is why I always say, he was one of my greatest teachers. He taught me so many things beyond my comfort or interest level! 


Quote of the day: Let winter come and live fully inside you, so that you can retrace the loving path of heartbreak that brought you here. ~ David Whyte


I gave Sunny some porch time last night. On the porch, is a big doggie heating pad on the floor, with lots of blankets. At one point, I looked outside and he wasn't on the porch anymore! I panicked. I went looking for him and somehow he managed to get down the stairs and was sitting in the grass, eagerly scanning for foxes. The instinct remains despite the fact that the body is giving out. 

I took a photo of Sunny in our kitchen at bedtime. I got out several of Mattie's fleecy blankets and Sunny is loving them. I sat on the floor for 45 minutes and rubbed his head, ears, and back. This calmed Sunny down significantly. His face is precious to me and no matter how awful he feels, he still responds to me. 

Sunny is unable to move without assistance. Thankfully I have his slings from his orthopedic surgeries to help me assist Sunny. This morning, I celebrated the fact that I got Sunny to drink water, take his pain meds, and eat two slices of deli ham. Later in the day he had a few treats too. But overall, Sunny is not Sunny. 

I took him out to the backyard this afternoon and gave him an hour of freedom. But as it got darker and colder, I picked him up and brought him inside. 


A priceless face! One that I fell in love with on Facebook back in 2016! We have had quite a journey together, he stole my heart back then, and I can't think of life without Sunny. 


This morning, Blanca came over to help me clean the house. She has been a part of our life since 2008, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. My neighbor paid for her to clean our townhouse, while we were at the hospital. I truly needed her help back then because I was living in chaos. Unfortunately chaos seems to follow me. 

I have tried to listen, take an interest in her family, and help Blanca emotionally over the years. She is astute enough to know that I face one of the hardest times in my life. She wanted me to know today that she thinks I am a very special person. She basically told me that she hasn't met many people like me in her life and she said what I am doing for my parents, most people just won't do. She feels that God is looking over me and trusting in him, is all I can do right now. She wanted me to know that I am never alone, when I have faith. She and I are both Roman Catholics and what this difficult time reminds me is that I am a person of great faith and she and I speak the same language. Of course once Mattie was diagnosed with cancer and then died, my issues with God were understandable. But like I always say, God is strong and can handle whatever we dish out. All this is to say, I always find it amazing when I hear those who I think don't know me well, share insights about me. Blanca is correct, I try to live my life in a manner in which I would want to be treated and have devoted my life to caring for others and supporting them in their life's journey. 

No comments: