Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 13, 2024

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Mattie was three and half years old! I can't tell you the transformation Mattie made with water. He went for a baby/toddler who was afraid of it, to a preschool who couldn't get enough bath time. Literally Mattie loved daily baths. I am not sure if he liked the feeling of the water, or he loved bringing his toys into the tub. When I say toys, I don't mean bath toys! Mattie would dump trucks, hot wheel cars, and toy planes in the tub. You name it, if it struck his fancy, in the water it went and Mattie designed intrigue play schemes around them.



Quote of the day: Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring — it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera


Today was Day 3 without my Sunny. Everything about Sunny was unforgettable. His beauty, the softness of his fur, the sheen in his coat, and most importantly his temperament and personality. Sunny lived up to his name. He was pure sunshine and he got along with everyone! But he was also a good judge of character, as he steered away from certain people and dogs. 

Back in 2018, I walked with Sunny to Georgetown to pick up a bunch of Scout bags which were being donated to the Foundation. When the Scout staff saw Sunny, they invited him inside and were eager to take a photo with my buddy! Sunny ate it up and loved the attention! That face is forever etched in my mind and heart. 

After my dad's physical therapist left today, I literally changed right back into my pajamas, got out a heating pad, and sat on the couch all day. I am not feeling like myself physically or emotionally. While on the couch, I put on the 1978 movie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Unlike the 1950s version, the 70s version did not end well at all, as I am a big proponent of good always conquers evil. Instead in the 1978 version, evil wins. There is no hope for humanity. Lovely. 

While making dinner tonight, I came across this water bottle in the refrigerator. When I would walk Sunny during the warmer weather months, I always carried water with me and a portable bowl. It was this visual tonight that made me very sad. In fact my routine is all off without Sunny. He isn't watching me cook, he isn't looking at me from the porch, there is no one to share dinner treats with, and the list goes on. Sunny had a way of filling up our home, and it is quieter than ever without his beautiful and loving presence. 
Tonight's pastry treat! I have lost over 20 pounds since Peter has left me and unfortunately given how I am feeling, food doesn't interest me as it once did. 


No comments: