Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2011

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007 in Lancaster, PA. We took Mattie to Dutchwonderland. A theme park really geared for younger aged children. Mattie had a great time that day and it was on this trip that he rode his FIRST roller coaster. Mattie LOVED roller coasters. The irony is Vicki has NEVER been on a roller coaster, not even a kiddie one. The notion of that kind of movement makes her sick. As you can see from this picture, Mattie met up with a park character and stopped to take a picture with this purple dinosaur. This is yet another way Mattie was different from his mother. Vicki was deathly afraid of these types of characters as a kid and most likely would have run the other way, hid, or simply panicked. The beauty of Mattie!

Quote of the day: One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. ~ Erich Fromm

I decided to write tonight's blog and give Vicki a break. Being away from that which is most important to you, gives yourself the gift of being able to reflect on what makes each day important, and why that is the case.  The mind will wander, looking for an answer or a resolution, but in reality, connecting in a relationship, binding your thoughts and his/her thoughts into a single context, forever establishes a link between these two individuals, which over time can help them, help you, and all the others impacted by this.

When I travel, I sometimes feel it gives me the gift of clarity. It enables me to see what is truly important in this life. Although there may be fancy and extravagant things to do and give one another, I am simply reminded of the famous quote from Maya Angelou: "People will not remember what you did for them. However, they will forever remember how you made them feel."

So I returned from traveling for almost 24 hours, and I have to admit: the prospect of having to repack Sunday night and race right back to the airport that granted me my freedom today, only to board another plane, and still be separated from that which is essential to my life, is not something I would ever choose.

So in summary: I missed Vicki in an unfathomable manner, I have been through changes, and I will endure. But remember this: most people only have one chance at this.  Your child is growing so very fast and being a parent means validating your child's needs, and thereby unlocking the wonderful gift of ever-lasting learning and development.  There is no greater gift!

No comments: