Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 30, 2013

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 -- Mattie died 190 weeks ago today.
 

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2005. Mattie was three years old and loved this rocking duck. This duck belonged to Peter when he was a child, so it experienced two generations of 'Brown' boys! This duck is still in our living room, right where Mattie left it. I would imagine most parents donate their child's items or hand them down to others to use. When you lose a child, it is as if your life and time stops. Giving your child's items away seems unnatural because in this case things do make the connection more real.



Quote of the day: Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic. ~ Oscar Wilde



I had a very busy day of RUNNING around. From one thing to the next and despite all that I am doing, MORE needs to be done!!! It is that time of year for the Foundation. Later in the afternoon, I headed to Mattie's school to set up for my last art session tomorrow. When you work with 5 and 6 year olds, you have to be prepared and ready to go. Otherwise you will lose their attention and interest. So literally all my hands on assignments have to be set up the day before! The photo I am showing you here was taken after my second art session. This is what the class' Matisse cutout project generated! Each one is lovely but displayed as a group, to me they are colorful and glorious. A work of art! Matisse would have been thrilled to see his art form operationalized!

When I arrived at Mattie's school today, I had my hands full. This is not unusual, carrying bags and art supplies. Just carrying things from the parking lot to the classroom is a feat. I have done it numerous times before, without anyone helping me. But today was different. As I was doing the balancing act of bags, canvases, and even a vase filled with sunflowers (for the still life hands on project tomorrow), a young boy ran over to the school door to hold it open for me. When I walked through the door, I had to put the vase down because it was all too heavy. With that, the young fellow could have walked away, but he didn't. He offered to help me and he literally carried the flowers and vase all the way to the classroom. As he said to me..... "the vase with flowers is TOO heavy to carry with one hand!" On our walk, I learned that he is a fourth grader and thought my flowers were very pretty. He was adorable, and as I entered Donna's classroom, she clearly knew this fellow. Any case this fourth grader made an impression on me, because typically it has been my experience that most children do not offer to help me, hold open a door, or even stop what they are doing to observe the needs of another person.

Two weeks ago when I was at Mattie's school, Mattie's memorial tree was just beginning to bud after a long barren winter. Today the tree was all unfurled! It was happy, very green, and wearing all its ornaments with pride. The twinkling tree (as I call it because of all the wonderful trinkets and wind chime it has on it) is growing and stands tall watching over the playground. On a regular basis, I see children playing near or around the tree, and to them this is just an ordinary tree, whereas to me this tree is anything but ordinary! Instead it symbolizes the life of a courageous seven year old who lost his battle to cancer.

No comments: