Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 14, 2013

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. Mattie was in Coronado, California. In the back drop of this photo was the Del Coronado Hotel. A very historic and grand Victorian lady with her iconic red turrets! Peter took Mattie bicycle riding around the island and he snapped this wonderful photo. Mattie looked so happy and the picture of health!

Quote of the day: We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox. ~ Nicholas Sparks


I remember when I was in graduate school and studying to be a mental health professional, the topic of SILENCE came up often in our clinical coursework. Students and new professionals naturally find silence awkward and uncomfortable. The instinct is instead to talk through the silence. To break it up and to add noise into the counseling session. Most of us are intimidated by silence, but as a mental health professional we know that people are paying for our services, therefore silence is sometimes perceived as a waste. A sign of being unproductive! But this is actually NOT true. Silence can be used to achieve many things clinically. Putting the clinical angle aside, I know that in my own personal life there are only a handful of people I can be silent around.

I know when I was in my 20s and I would see older couples sitting together in silence, I felt bad for them! I wondered what was happening, do they not have anything to talk about, do they not find each other interesting anymore, and the list of other questions swirled around in my mind. However, after experiencing Mattie's cancer and his death, I find that there are times Peter and I do sit in silence. It isn't a matter of the fact that we don't want to talk to each other or we have nothing to say, it is simply the fact that we have been through a lot together that we are okay with the silence. We understand our silences and as I joke often, I feel like Mattie's death has aged us. Maybe physically, but most definitely emotionally. Some couples may need 50 or 60 years together to be able to truly get the other. Whereas I feel having outlived Mattie has forced Peter and I to face the impossible, to live through the impossible, and to address issues most married couples don't face. The death of a child ages a couple, matures a couple and if the couple is able to survive this loss, there is most likely something to be said regarding this bond. It is a bond that has endured one of the greatest tests in life. A test that even supersedes time.

Though I am still not feeling 100 percent today, I met up with a friend I hadn't seen since Mattie's death in September of 2009. I won't go into detail about this individual, but she played an important role in our lives and helped us with Mattie tremendously. Though we no longer live in geographic proximity to each other, we still email with one another. Mattie's battle introduced Peter and I to some amazing women. Women who I will never forget and who we will always be indebted to. As clinicians (whether medical or mental health) we are always taught about boundaries and the importance of establishing them, but I must say when dealing with life and death issues, boundaries do go out the window. Thankfully they did because we truly needed all the support we could get when Mattie was sick and dying. It is hard to see a six year old fighting for his life and undergoing horrendous treatments and yet remain neutral and cold as a care provider. Mattie was the kind of kid who could easily break down professional barriers. As Peter would say, "to know Mattie was to love him and sooner or later Mattie would get to you."

Mattie may have died almost four years ago, but to me there are aspects of the battle that are alive and well inside of me. The relationships that we formed during this battle will always be precious to us, almost as if we all served in the same military troop and fought in a war together. It wasn't your typical war, this war involved an internal threat..... the cancer within Mattie's body. When members of the "Mattie troop" get together, especially now that Mattie is gone, it helps us keep his memory alive.

No comments: