Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 22, 2014

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 -- Mattie died 254 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken around this time of year in 2008. How do I know this? Because on July 23 of 2008, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. This is a day Peter nor I will ever forget. I will share with you how Mattie was diagnosed tomorrow. It is like a movie reel playing over and over in my mind. I can picture everything quite vividly! In any case, once we found out Mattie had cancer, Mattie felt like decorating with Christmas lights. So though it was July, out came the lights! It is funny how cancer put everything in perspective! Meaning that NOTHING really mattered at that point... we lived in that absolute moment. 

Quote of the day: I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing. Neil Gaiman

Though I am not in total agreement with tonight's quote, I do get the sentiment and do appreciate the overall gist of what it is saying. I do think schools today are missing the boat! They are rewarding all the wrong things and parents are right up there promoting and pushing their kids to an absolute extreme. With grades and sports! It is no wonder the mental health profession will be alive and well for a very long time. I of course have a very perverse view of the world, because I saw my son develop cancer and die. But I can honestly say, whether he I got all straight A's in my lifetime, graduated with honors, and so forth, in the long run really made NO DIFFERENCE. It had NO IMPACT on whether I could save my son and he could have a healthy and happy life. For you see there is more to living than grades, excelling in sports, and sheer competition. I wish most of the women I associate with could understand this, but this falls on deaf ears!

Today I continued writing. I realize I am burning out quickly. I apparently snapped one person's head off today, and another person on the phone said I sounded very down. So fortunately I am getting away for two days this week. I need time away from the computer. I know I am brain dead, because I am reading things and I can't even process what I am reading. 

I continued to write case examples from Mattie's cancer journey today. I am still on the patient advocacy section of the chapter. One of the examples I highlighted focused on the advocacy strategy of limiting! Limiting interactions between health care providers and the child, or in our case not only with Mattie but with ourselves. Research has shown that parents have to advocate at times to limit such interactions for their own sanity and for the effectiveness of care. Mattie's first oncologist was not a good match for our family. Peter knew this right off the bat, but I tolerated him for quite some time only because he was referred to us by Mattie's surgeon. But it was a mistake on my part to have put up with this doctor for so long, because it caused great tension between Peter and I. This oncologist was greatly insensitive. 

I could make a list of all the things he did, and you most likely would say, are you kidding???!! He once told me he was going to have a worse day than me, and you have to understand while he was telling me this, Mattie was getting a chemo infusion. Then one day, he told me he was taking his family to see the Lion King over Labor Day weekend. He was very excited by this, and then wished me a good Labor Day weekend. This was our first weekend holiday in the hospital! Weekends in the hospital are very isolating, but holiday weekends are like ghost towns! Get the picture? It only got worse! On one occasion, he even told me that he longed for the days when parents did not question doctors (my mom and Mattie's art therapist overheard this one!!!), or how about the time when he gave Mattie a placebo of saline solution because he did not believe he was really in pain. So he denied him pain meds. Only to find out minutes later that pain meds were absolutely necessary because Mattie was actually in pain (Mattie's nurse was LIVID)! Are these not bad enough? Then how about the time when he and a PICU nurse isolated me outside in the PICU hallway from Mattie because they believed that I was the reason Mattie claimed to be in pain. They believed that Mattie acted up around me for attention and without my presence would not have any issues with pain! Of course they were WRONG and if it weren't for Tricia (our HEM/ONC nurse extraordinaire), there would have been ONE dead PICU nurse and doctor in the hallway that day. The lesson learned is that parents need to advocate to switch providers and find oncologists who are better personality fits for their family. This is a very important part of the treatment process. It is not just a nicety, it part of the therapeutic alliance. If we couldn't connect, engage, and dialogue with the doctor in a meaningful manner about Mattie's care, then it was hard for us to trust him about medical decisions. 

No comments: