Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 9, 2015

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken on August 12, 2009. Even though Mattie's cancer had spread throughout his major organs and he was weak, he still had the where with all to find humor and entertainment in his situation. As you can see he grabbed his plastic claw and was giving me direction. 


Quote of the day: When our children die, we drop them into the unknown, shuddering with fear. We know that they go out from us, and we stand, and pity, and wonder. ~ Henry Ward Beecher


As you can see Orange Tie Week is going strong! This is Day three's photo! Tim told me he thought Mattie would appreciate this tie because of the palm trees on it. Mattie loved going on vacation and traveling. I will never forget we took a trip one December to Florida. After a major rain storm, Mattie wanted to go outside for a walk. Along our walk we came across a LARGE palm frond that fell on the ground. Mattie insisted we pick this HUGE thing up, take a photo with it and bring it back to our hotel room! Classic Mattie, he loved collecting items along our walks. 






This construction project outside our home CONTINUES! I feel like I live in a disaster zone. Between the pounding, drilling, lack of privacy and the dust that is everywhere, I am about to lose it. We painted our deck in the spring, which was a total joke since now it looks like a mess. This just wasn't the best of weeks for them to be doing this project, and with Mattie's sixth anniversary yesterday I just couldn't be myself. I am counting the days until Friday, when this is supposed to come to an end. 


In the midst of pounding, drilling, and intense noise, I had a conference call with a woman who is doing some research for another Foundation. She was reaching out to me because Mattie Miracle is considered a pioneer and leader in the realm of psychosocial care. So she had questions for me and wanted to learn more about what we do. As I was talking to her she made a comment that has stuck with me all day. By training this woman is a life coach and helps people get their lives on track, and to find happiness. She told me that she has been talking to many other family members who started foundations and organizations and the one thing she notices is they all talk and focus on one thing..... the child they lost to cancer. She said that I do not talk like this, that I think more globally. In terms of what I learned from Mattie's battle and his loss, inspires me to help others on a grander scale. She made the comment that this is unusual and the sign of a true leader. She said some other lovely things about my growth and introspection, but overall I told her I wished I taped her conversation because such profound feedback from a stranger made me pause. Needless to say after that call, I shared that comment with Peter, because he is just as much a part of this grand vision.

What this conversation also showed me today is I have my strengths and Peter has his. We communicate differently and that I believe is what makes the Foundation effective. I can talk on an emotional and mental health level, and Peter is great talking to people about the business, strategy and overall development and future directions of the Foundation and its projects. Both forms of communication are necessary for progress and success.  

No comments: