Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 15, 2021

Monday, March 15, 2021

Monday, March 15, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009. Mattie was attending the "Mattie March." An outdoor event hosted by our support community to show Mattie how much he was loved. That event served as a model for Mattie Miracle's annual awareness walk. Given that I am designing our 2021 walk and raffle website, I am reflecting on many historical photos.  


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 29,489,181
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 535,560


I started my day with a six month follow up at my ophthalmologist's office. My eye doctor retired. In fact, my September 2020 appointment was on his last day of practice. He may have practiced for 44 years, but he and I were not a good match for each other. In my last appointment with him, I felt he was rushing, did not want to answer my questions, and refused to send a copy of my exam report to my internist. So I literally asked for him to give it to me on the spot. The report mentioned that I had cataracts in both eyes and that I was a glaucoma suspect! Neither of which were EVER mentioned to me in person. I found out by reading the report. THANKFULLY I asked for the report, otherwise how would I know?! The report also said I was given "counseling" before I left the office about the condition. NOPE!

So today's follow up was to look at my eye pressure and my "narrow angles." The angle is the space between the clear part of the eye (cornea) and the colored part (iris), close to their meeting point near the edge of the iris. It contains the trabecular meshwork, which is the main structure that directs fluid out of the eye. 

In closed angle glaucoma, the angle is closed in many or most areas, causing increased eye pressure, which leads to optic nerve damage, and possible vision loss. This rise in eye pressure may occur suddenly (an acute attack of angle closure) or gradually. There are also precursor forms of the disease in which the angle is closed but the eye pressure is not high and the optic nerve is not affected yet.

Before I let any of the techs put drops in my eyes today, I demanded to meet the new doctor. I wanted to go over the report from September's visit. I made it clear that I was unhappy with my September visit and I wanted answers. Unfortunately the new doctor was defensive and said things like:

  1. All patients like Dr. so and so! Only one in 1,000 have issues with him. 
  2. What do you want a doctor who is busy and sees lots of patients or one who can sit around and talk with you at length?
  3. He probably did not want to tell you about cataracts and that you are a glaucoma suspect because then you would be worried about it and think that you definitely have these conditions. 
  4. Your headaches are probably caused from having narrow angles. 
I am giving you the top 4 comments. The first comment was patronizing and dismissive. But it is tied with number 2. I think doctors think that talking and relating to patients are going to take time. Time that they don't have. I don't think a doctor has to have a lengthy conversation with a patient to develop rapport. Rapport can actually happen within minutes, but the key is this has to be an important factor valued by the doctor. Not only did my previous doctor think this was unnecessary, I found out today that the whole practice operates under this same delusion. 

However, comment number 3 is ridiculous! Doctors need to tell patients what is going on and to inform them about their own conditions and care. Not telling the patient reminds me of care from the 1950s, and certainly it is a mindset that doesn't compute with me. But to pin my headaches on "narrow angles" is a total stretch. I told her I have been under the care of a neurologist since my 30s. In my 30s I did not have narrow angle issues and yet I have the same headaches now as I did back then. So to say I need an iridotomy (a laser procedure) to address this issue makes me pause. 

When I checked out of the office to pay for today's visit (another affront, as the doctor should have paid me), the person behind the counter started talking to me. Turns out she isn't part of the typical staff. She was dressed undercover, as she is part of the management of this clinic and others in our area. So I gave her a mouthful. She thanked me for my honesty and then also gave me the name of another opthamologist (at a different practice) to consult with, one who values patient centered care. I meet with him in April. Needless to say it was a horrible visit today, which set me off for the rest of the day. 

No comments: