Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 7, 2021

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. That day I picked Mattie up from preschool and we went to the mall to visit the Easter Bunny. By that age, three years old, Mattie enjoyed visiting Santa and the Bunny. Whereas prior to age 3, Mattie would have been running the other way. I certainly did not blame him, because as I child I remember running for cover when I saw any life sized characters! I am so happy I have this photo, because it was the first and last visit to see the Easter Bunny 





Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 30,917,756
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 559,066

Peter drove back to DC today from Boston! Sunny wasn't happy about this, as he LOVES visiting Peter's parents. Especially since they have woods behind their home, filled with birds, deer, and other wonderful signs of nature! 
I have dealt with cluster headaches for over a month now. The pain is excruciating and it hasn't lightened up! Nothing I take eases the pain. It consists of stabbing eye pain, sensitivity to light, pain in my jaw, and my face and head are so sensitive, I can't touch them. The pain keeps me up at night, and waking up every morning at 6am, doesn't help how I am feeling. 

Literally as soon as I get up, it is non-stop activity! My dad wants caregivers, but I assure you having people in your home each day provides a great deal of stress. The morning routine is driving me crazy, as it takes the caregivers 90 minutes to bath and dress my dad. I don't get what the hold up is, as I can manage this in 30 minutes. I don't want to rush my dad, but him coming downstairs at 10am only leaves two more hours for the caregivers to work with him to complete cognitive and physical exercises. It isn't enough time.  I have noticed a significant decline in my dad's energy level, his ability to walk, and his cognitive ability since I was here in January. Which is why I spoke with his in home care company, who has already put in an order to resume physical and occupational therapy in June. 

One of the highlights of my day is the fountain in my parent's backyard. It attracts all sorts of birds! 



Meanwhile, look what was waiting for Peter when he got back home! Kearney and Company, the presenting corporate sponsor of the Mattie Miracle Walk, donated a ton of toiletries to our April item drive! These items will help to stock our Snack and Item Carts at local hospitals. 
I return back to DC next Tuesday. I have started cooking things for my parents to freeze, so they can eat them when I am gone. Taking my dad out to lunch is challenging, and it is hard for my mom to manage this alone now. Which is a problem, because I believe going out is beneficial for both of them. Especially cognitively for my dad. 

My dad struggles with dementia, physical limitations, and irritable bowel syndrome. Together this is a very challenging set of issues to coping with, and though I think his quality of life is good (because we really work at it), the quality of life for the rest of us is questionable. 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Are the caregivers actually bathing your dad, or are they turning him loose in the bathroom alone? If he is alone, it may be time for them to come in and do the actual bathing. Maybe that would speed things up.

You are amazing in all you accomplish while struggling with debilitating pain. I hope relief comes for you soon. I'm sure you've contacted a doctor, but if not, it might be a good idea.

Keeping you in my prayers.