Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2022

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. It was at Mattie's end of school party. The children went to a park and I volunteered to help that day. In fact any opportunity to get involved, I always volunteered. I am happy I did because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten a second chance at the experience. Pictured with Mattie were his very close friends, Charlotte (who Mattie referred to as his girlfriend) and Campbell. 


Quote of the day: Fatigue has many faces and many causes. Fatigue and tiredness mean different things to different people. ~ Michael A. Schmidt


In any given day, at any given moment, I am juggling multiple things. After I got my dad showered and dressed and downstairs for breakfast, my mom needed help with phone calls and bills. Mind you we were trying to eat breakfast. But I have learned that if I don't do things immediately it causes more problems. So I did it! My dad went to the memory care center today, and this gave me the time to complete all our Foundation acknowledgments for the Walk. I also was able to complete acknowledgments to all of our raffle donors. So it was a productive administrative day today. I find what would have taken me hours in the past, can now take me weeks. 

The everyday routine is sickening however. I know it has gotten my mom down. I think she was under the impression that things would be better here in Virginia, than they were in California. Of course I am a realist, and I know my dad's physical and cognitive issues are significant and NOT geographic dependent. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into but my mom somehow did not realize the huge impact it would have on my life, Peter's life, my social life, and married life. Having been a caregiver to Mattie while he was battling cancer, I absolutely know first hand the toll of being a full time caregiver. Certainly caring for aging parents is different than a child with cancer, but there are many overlaps. The commonalities are the physical toll, the mental and emotional toll, and the intense isolation. I have been there and am experiencing it once again. 

This afternoon, I stopped working and told me my we were going out! I drove to the mall and we actually ate lunch outside. Yes it was like 90 degrees outside, but she thrives in the heat and I frankly enjoyed seeing the greenery and hearing the birds, without jumping to meet my dad's multiple needs.

No comments: