Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 29, 2022

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Today's picture was taken in May of 2007. Mattie was 5 years old and a typical spring time activity for Mattie was coming home from school with tent moth caterpillars. We would put them in jars, feed them oak leaves, clean their jars daily, and wait to see the cocoons form and then about a week later, the moths would emerge. We always had moth release ceremonies together on our deck. I remember the first time Mattie brought moths home from preschool. I was a little stunned to tell the truth. But he was fascinated by them and I figured what a better way to learn about metamorphosis then to see it first hand in one's home. So we jarred them and then had to figure out what they ate. They would only eat oak leaves for us. Fortunately we had one oak near our town house. Before we left our town house in August of 2021, we took some acorns from this tree with us. We have potted these acorns and we have two baby oaks growing in our backyard. They are forever Mattie. 


Quote of the day: Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well. ~ Voltaire


Today did not go as I had planned. I wanted to get my dad ready, have breakfast, do his cognitive and physical therapy exercises and then go walk Sunny. I miss my walks and my time away from chores, tasks, and demands. But my dad went outside today and with that, I had to stay and supervise him. My mom came outside and we all got to talking. Peter has some up coming travel and I mentioned that it would be nice to go, but I know I can't. I can't do anything other than my daily routine. Which I assure you isn't for the meek. This comment wasn't appreciated by my mom and this caused us to argue. Which is not atypical for us. Remember we have been living with 2,500 miles apart for decades. I am not saying I don't have a strong personality too, I do, but I have had my own ups and downs in life, and I had to figure them out with very little family support. 

We went out for an early dinner tonight and I got into it again at dinner. I think hearing comments that I translate to being unappreciated, upset me. Especially when it is clear to me that cooking, cleaning, and managing a household are considered simple tasks. I do not view them as simple, and I most certainly do not view them as simple when managing my dad's care, helping my mom, and trying to run a Foundation. 

I suspect all the arguing irritated my dad and for him it comes out as an irritable bowel attack. Peter and my dad left the restaurant before my mom and me. As we stayed behind to use the restroom before getting into the car. When I was done, I walked outside and immediately saw Peter helping my dad back into the restaurant. My dad desperately needed to use the restroom (mind you he did not feel this coming on before leaving the restaurant). That of course meant I had to move quickly to get him to the bathroom. We did not make it in time, and instead, there was poop all over him, his shoes, the bathroom floor, and well you get the picture. It was a big clean up job. I am going out on a limb, but I am quite certain that NOT every adult child could handle this!

The one entertaining part about dinner was seeing a wedding outside the window. It was taking place on the restaurant's terrace. I remember my wedding as if it were yesterday. We thought we had a bright and happy future ahead. But life had other plans. Of course, being honest, I can't view weddings and baby showers as positive events anymore. Instead, my lens is now..... I wonder what is in store for this couple or baby?
The ceremony and the reception were outside. This couple is very lucky they had a beautiful weather day, no rain, and it wasn't humid. For our area in May, this is a real gamble. The ceremony itself was about ten minutes long. But I enjoyed seeing the people and examining what they wore to the event. 


No comments: