Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2022

Monday, August 22, 2022

Monday, August 22, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on August 5, 2009, literally a few hours before Mattie took his CT scan and we learned his prognosis was terminal. While Mattie was in the outpatient physical therapy clinic, I was very distracted. I was trying to participate in the therapy session with Mattie and at the same time I was speaking with doctors and trying to coordinate more scanning for Mattie. It was within this therapy session that Dr. Shad called me and told me that a CT scan was definitely needed because something was seen on the ultrasound. I had been telling the doctors for a month that something wasn't right with Mattie. That day the data was captured on the scans, data that I really did not need, as I knew my son and what he was experiencing. Despite all that Mattie was coping with, look at that smile and the energy he put into his physical therapy session. 


Quote of the day: The human capacity for burden is like bamboo- far more flexible than you’d ever believe at first glance. ~ Jodi Picoult


Yesterday we went out to dinner. We go to the same place every Sunday, and Cheryl is our amazing server. While having dessert, my mom snapped this photo of us. To me I see so much in this photo..... I am exhausted and Peter is stressed. It is a familiar state for both of us, but honestly I do think we deserve a break. As I have been intensely caregiving for what feels like a lifetime. 

Some may say that Mattie's battle only lasted 14 months and that was 13 years ago. But that 14 months was like 14 years in length because the day to day, hour to hour traumas I managed stays within me. It is hard to describe but cancer knocks out not just the patient, but the entire family and of course coping with the loss of an only child will be something I will never get over. On top of dealing with all of this, I now have the care of both of my parents. 

My daily routine is tedious and as humans I do think we need two things, one: some control over our lives, and two: new experiences. The unfortunate thing about caregiving is you lose both of these things. I think new experiences help to keep us alive, motivated, energized, and in some cases are restorative. The scary part about my days is I know they WON'T get any better than they are right now. As both of my parents have issues that are progressive and of course my hope is that I will be able to manage whatever comes my way in the future. But Mattie's illness taught me that so much in life is out of my control and so MUCH is bigger than me and what I can handle.

No comments: