Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 26, 2022

Friday, August 26, 2022

Friday, August 26, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2009. Mattie was struggling and despite his terminal status, the hospital had him working on breathing exercises. That of course did not interest him until Peter turned it into a game. Peter had one machine and Mattie had his flutter valve. The dueling Browns!



Quote of the day: We are shaped and fashioned by what we love. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


Throughout our entire marriage, Peter has always been the morning person! I am NOT a morning person, but given my situation, I am forced to get up early. Which I truly believes contributes to my migraines. 

When I woke up this morning, I saw these photos! Peter sent me them to me by text message. I call this ANGELIC SUNNY!
Sunny loves his front yard time off leash in the morning. I think he looks so regal! The way Peter captured the sun's rays on Sunny is priceless to me. 



This morning after getting my dad up and out the door, I drove my mom to physical therapy. Her therapist is lovely. Each time, Jenny asks my mom.... what did you do this week or what are you doing this weekend? 

Unfortunately our life is not very diverse or stimulating. This shows up in our answers. It is very hard describing our life to others, particularly those who don't live with a home bound person. 

In any case, my mom told Jenny that she can't do anything she likes to do here. That led to the conversation.... what do you like to do? I know exactly what my mom likes to do (or DID do)! It was walking, traveling, and dancing class. The problem of course is my mom doesn't have the insight to know that she physically can't do these activities anymore independently. This is a hard reality that I feel I walk each day, as I want her to be safe, yet I try NOT to squelch her hope. But I have to be the parent on duty here and I think the therapist could see the struggles I face, as she made suggestions to me mom, like joining a senior center and participating in activities, and all of them were met with a big NO! I know this NO all too well, as I have been dealing with it for nine months, and I have yet to figure out what my mom wants to do. 

I realize it is her disease and over time, I have backed off, because she no longer can do the things she once was able to. I know this reality and slowly she is facing this. Needless to say this is a very depressing reality each day. After therapy, I took her out for a tea latte and a trip to the Hallmark store. That improved both of our moods! I am a big Hallmark fan, store and channel. To me when I step into Hallmark, I don't have to face reality, but instead can see pretty and happy things, which is very needed on a weekly basis. 

No comments: