Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 21, 2022

Friday, October 21, 2022

Friday, October 21, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Each fall weekend, we would take Mattie to an outdoor festival. Mattie preferred being outdoors, exploring, and having an adventure. We were very different in that respect, but I came to appreciate the freedom associated with green spaces and nature. As you can see the festival had this pumpkin measuring stick, and I snapped a photo of my two boys next to it. 






Quote of the day: Frustration is a very positive sign. It means that the solution to your problem is within range, but what you're currently doing isn't working, and you need to change your approach in order to achieve your goal. ~ Anthony Robbins


Though I appreciate tonight's quote, my level of frustration as a caregiver has NO easy solutions and there is very little that I can do to change my approach. The problem is I am coping with rapid physical and cognitive decline in my parents and that simply just doesn't look pretty. My dad woke up this morning with hives, yet again. Unlike what happened about three weeks ago, today I saw no evidence of any insect bites. The question is what is causing the hives??? Since my dad goes to a memory care center three days a week, I can't always be certain if the issue has arisen from home or from the center. But managing this with someone who has moderate to late stage dementia is beyond exacerbating. I can tell him not to scratch and I can lather him up with creams, but he goes right on and continues scratching. Which spreads the issue. I have tried bandaging him up in the past or him using cotton gloves. Nothing works and I am just hoping this doesn't spread all over his body like what happened a few weeks ago which would require another doctor's visit. I am living in ground hog's day, where every day is the same craziness as the day before, but with only added problems tacked on. 

While my dad was at the memory care center today, Peter and I took a Foundation conference call. It was another non-profit who wanted to consult with us. They wanted to know how to follow our successful model of creating Standards of Care. This may sound easy, but there is nothing easy about changing a system and getting various professional groups to work together to accept there are no standards and then work on creating them. It was flattering that someone wanted to consult with us on "our model." Which of course made me pause and acknowledge that what we have accomplished in three years (from our vision to published Standards) was truly remarkable. 

More photos of share! Do you see that black lump of fur? That is Indie, who likes making herself comfortable on my parent's bed!
Peter has changed over some of our plantings for Fall. Today's addition was pansies. 
I love petunias in the summer and pansies in the fall. They are happy flowers to me. 
A Mattie Miracle sign in our garden. 
More pansies. 
Sunny's special time is at night! He loves hiding out in bushes to watch for deer and fox!
We are ready for Halloween. Frankly this may not seem like a big deal, but it is to us. Since Mattie died, Peter and I have NEVER decorated. We hadn't bought a pumpkin or any kind of decoration until last year when we moved into the house. In a way the house was a kind of a reset for us. Now I look at decorations as a tribute to things Mattie loved, rather than as being disrespectful because he is not physically with us. I also think because my parents are with us, I want them to celebrate and acknowledge the changing seasons, which therefore causes me to decorate. 


No comments: