Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 16, 2022

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2005. Mattie was three and a half years old and we were headed to a Halloween party at the University. My students were hosting an event for the community and they invited Mattie. As you can see, Mattie was a calico cat that year. He and I made this costume using a black sweat suit, we cut out felt patches and glued them onto the suit. We even took one of my head bands and added ears and a pair of my black tights became a tail. I am so happy Peter captured this photo because Mattie never celebrated Halloween that year. Mattie landed up in the hospital with sepsis from an undiagnosed ear infection. Thankfully, we saved the costume and Mattie used it in 2006.


Quote of the day: Loss is like a wind, it either carries you to a new destination or it traps you in an ocean of stagnation. You must quickly learn how to navigate the sail, for stagnation is death. ~ Val Uchendu


Typically opening the mail is a very stressful process in my household. My mom panics with every correspondence, bill, or statement. This week, Peter decided to hold all bills and other financial documentation until today. So after breakfast, once I got my dad's exercise routine done and he was in his recliner, I presented the mail to my mom. I told her it was yesterday's mail and that I was going to sit with her and work on it with her. That way it would go faster. I wasn't sure how this was going to work. I prepared myself with a meltdown. Turns out, this was a great way to do it. I opened everything and we discussed it together, and then I went to pay bills and file things using her system in her office. It was a brilliant plan and hoping we can continue today's experience because the daily nightmare of panicking, yelling, and her cursing have become too much for me to handle. What my parents don't understand is that I have a lot of other things to do, other than manage their needs and routine. 

It has been a glorious weather weekend! Though I was unable to get outside with Sunny yesterday, I was determined to go for a walk today. While my parents were napping in the family room, Peter, Sunny, and I went for a walk. It was the highlight of my week!

The one thing I like about living here is access to trails and the woods. Normally I am lamenting that we left the city, but this is the one perk I love. It is also wonderful to just walk out of our home and be able to jump on a trail within minutes. No car needed. It is very freeing considering my 24/7 routine!

Sunny just LOVES our walks! He is animated and doesn't act like a dog on chemo. 
Along our journey today we came across this orange thing! Can you see it!? It was ONE VERY LARGE spider. The spider was sitting in its web, which you can't see from this photo. Honestly this thing was creepy looking and it would have been right up Mattie's alley! 


No comments: