Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 20, 2022

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. That weekend we took Mattie to Butler's Orchard in Maryland. It was one of our favorite farms to go to during the fall. They had a wonderful hay tractor ride to a pumpkin patch, in which you could pick your own pumpkin off the vine. As you can see, Mattie and Peter got a wheel barrow and were in search of the perfect pumpkins. 


Quote of the day: I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day. ~ Mitch Albom


This morning I took my parents to see their primary care doctor. This doctor sees my dad every three months. Today our discussion was my dad's energy level. When the doctor asked my dad about his energy level, my dad responded that his energy level is great. Literally in unison my mom and I said... It's not! My dad can do an excellent snow jobbing a person and if  you don't dig deeper, you may think nothing is wrong with him. In any case, the doctor asked my dad whether he reads or uses his brain. My dad responded no! At which point I jumped in and told the doctor, we do the following to exercise his brain:

1) a daily journal, which I have been upkeeping since July

2) daily brain games that involve word finds, numbrix, reading comprehension, and other brain teasers

3) my dad goes to a memory care center three times a week, which provides all sorts of stimulation throughout the day.

4) a white board and electronic calendars as prompts and reminders of activities and time

Needless to say, when I hear my dad saying he doesn't do anything, I literally want to scream! In any case, my dad is starting Ritalin tomorrow morning and when we see the doctor in two weeks, I am bringing in all of my dad's activities for the doctor to see!

This afternoon, after I dropped my dad off at home, I took my mom to the local radiology center. My mom was scheduled for an Arterial Duplex Ultrasound of the legs. Do note this photo isn't of my mom. This photo was taken off the internet, to illustrate what I am talking about!

Last week, my mom went to see the podiatrist. At the appointment the doctor couldn't feel pulses in her feet. A few days later, we saw my mom's cardiologist, who prescribed testing. He did not seem concerned however because my mom completed a stress test in April and has no alarming symptoms now. Yet because my mom has coronary artery disease which required a cardiac stent in 2018, she is monitored closely. 

An arterial duplex ultrasound uses sound waves to create a color map of the arteries in the legs. It is used to identify (1) narrowing of vessels that may be causing leg pain when walking, (2) Resting leg pain, (3) Foot, ankle, heel or toe ulcers, and (4) Skin discoloration.

What I was concerned about was that she had a vessel blockage which would require the insertion of another stent. The radiology center is close to our home and they are excellent. The vascular tech allowed me in the exam room and explained the test to us. The test is performed while lying on an exam table. Just getting my mom undressed, in a gown, and on the table was challenging. She was also very anxious and a bundle of nerves. Fortunately the tech was lovely and helpful. 

The steps of the test:

  1. The technologist applied warm gel on my mom's legs and arms.
  2. A transducer, a small device similar to a microphone, was placed over various locations on her arms and legs.
  3. Blood pressure readings were taken on her ankles, thighs and calves. There was great pressure from the cuff which made my mom very uncomfortable. 
  4. Sound waves bounce off the muscle and tissue of the body and off the blood moving in the arteries. This creates "echoes." The echoes are reflected back to the transducer. A television monitor showed images as the transducer converts the echoes to electronic signals.
  5. After lying down, my mom was asked to walk on a treadmill for five minutes, with a pressure cuff on each of her ankles. After walking, her pressures were immediately taken.
This is not a quiet test either. You hear all sorts of loud and unusual sounds as the tech records the blood flowing through the veins and arteries in the legs.

Overall the exam took approximately 60 minutes and about three hours after the testing, the results popped up in her portal. Thankfully she is fine. There is no explanation for her lack of foot pulse, other than what her cardiologist says.... she is very thin and this could just be her! 

This is what my days are like. Jumping from one appointment and issue to the other. There is no way that my mom could have navigated alone through any of these visits today. She needs great help moving about and her anxiety levels are high and need to be managed with all testing. 

No comments: