Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 2, 2022

Friday, December 2, 2022

Friday, December 2, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and was in Los Angeles, visiting with my parents. We set up a miniature tree for Mattie in the kitchen and Mattie loved playing with the ornaments and checking out the gifts around the tree. Mattie took to traveling like a duck to water. He loved new experiences. 


Quote of the day: You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the things which you think you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


I made turkey soup from our Thanksgiving Day turkey. This was my first attempt at this, because I never made broth from a turkey carcass. It turned out to be delicious! 

Today was a typical busy day. I took my mom to physical therapy and she is taking a break from therapy until January. So as of this week both of my parents were discharged from therapy. This will give me a bit of a break for a few weeks from running around from one clinic to the next. 

After therapy we came home and I literally went right upstairs to my bed and napped for an hour. I needed it to function for the rest of the day, because as soon as I got up, I had to pick up my dad from the memory care center and take my parents out to lunch. 

When I picked up my dad, he literally had NO MEMORY of anything he did during the four hours he was there. He carries a notebook in his pocket, but the only thing he records was his lunch menu. For the most part, my dad has NO interests, doesn't enjoy much and therefore it makes it very difficult to do anything outside of the house. Personally as a caregiver it takes a lot of inner strength to manage my dad and mom together, because each and every day is like the day before. The human spirit really does need some freedom and activity to keep it going. 

Meanwhile, Peter is working on transforming our outside for Christmas. 
I will take better photos, but I love seeing the reindeer. These were some of Mattie's favorites when he and Peter used to decorate together. 

It was a tradition when Mattie was alive, that the day after Thanksgiving, Peter and Mattie would get the Christmas lights out and decorate the commons area of our townhouse. I can't tell you how many of our neighbors would stop to thank me for adding this colorful cheer to their holiday season. 

After Mattie died in 2009, Peter and I haven't put one Christmas light up. We have had NO tree, no wreath, NOTHING! Now that we moved into the house in 2021 and have my parents with us, last year was the first year we decorated again.... after 12 years! Yes 12 years! It was truly strange last year to decorate. I did not feel guilty to decorate, but I must admit it no longer brings me joy. To me it is just one more task to do and then put away. Unfortunately my mindset about the holidays and celebrations have forever changed. 

No comments: