Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 3, 2022

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and that Christmas we took Mattie to Los Angeles, to celebrate the holidays with my parents. At that time, my parents had citrus trees behind their house. It was a great spot to have an educational and fun lesson! Mattie loved picking lemons, oranges, and grapefruits, and then from there he would sort them, check out their colors, and even their weights. Who knew the hours of enjoyment fruit could provide?!!!





Quote of the day: Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.Francesca Reigler


It was a rainy morning and I truly did not want to get out of bed. But I did, because I know my mom pops up at 5:30am, and therefore, if I don't get it together it throws their day off. After I got my dad up, washed, dressed and downstairs for breakfast, I then did brain games with him and got him to walk for 15 minutes around the first floor of the house. My dad truly doesn't respond to my requests to move and do his exercises, which is why I am thrilled that we are hiring a personal trainer who is a physical therapy assistant, who can work with my dad two times a week. I am adamant about this because if we can't maintain his abilities, it will be impossible for me to care for him independently. 

Meanwhile, as soon as breakfast and the exercise routine were complete, both of my parents fell asleep for hours. One could ask.... why then get up at 5:30am, just to fall asleep again? I have stopped asking rational questions, because nothing here is rational. 

This is what the outside of the house looks like now. We are lit up for Christmas. 
I found these ornament shapes that light up and border our walkway. I think they are adorable. 
A close up!















Later today we took my parents out for an early dinner. We literally go out now at 2:30pm, because as the day wears on, my dad fades away. Santa was visiting today and I snapped a photo of my dad, Santa, and Dawn (one of our favorite servers). 
Santa gave out homemade cookies (sugar, chocolate chip, and gingerbread) and candy canes!
Meanwhile, I have created a game between my dad and Dawn (our server). We have known Dawn for a year now, as we met her at the Clyde's of Reston (before it closed down). My dad asks Dawn the same questions OVER and OVER. She is a great sport and entertains him each time with a response. The questions typically are:

  • Is the food fresh?
  • Does management allow tipping?
  • If we do not leave a tip, will this impact service?

You get the picture, I call them quippy questions and hearing them over and over, makes all of us nuts. So now I have adopted Dollar December Days. Every time my dad asks Dawn a quippy question, I give Dawn a dollar. So far, my dad asked about 12 of the same quippy questions today and yesterday. Therefore in two days, Dawn made $24. I figure by the time December is over, Dawn will get about $100 from this alone. Peter took the dollars that Dawn earned today and built a structure. Very Mattie-like!

No comments: