Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 27, 2022

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and there were several toys he loved riding around the house. This was one of them. Actually anything with wheels fascinated Mattie. I will never forget the scratches around the floor, furniture, and walls from all of these gadgets. But honestly it did not bother me because my priority was Mattie's growth and development. 


Quote of the day: Lucky is the spouse who dies first, who never has to know what survivors endure. ~ Sue Grafton


I stayed up late last night. Or I should say, for a week now, after my parents go to bed, I work on continuing education credits for my licensure renewal. Last night I was up to after 1am. Mind you I have to wake up no later than 6:30am to get everything in the house organized for the day ahead. So I have been working very hard, but I am determined to keep up my license. I am proud to say that in one week, I completed a 12.5 hour training course on grief. I will move onto ethics tonight, but I am plugging away, as my license renewal is December 31. 

My mom wanted to go to high tea at the Ritz for her birthday yesterday. Given that I couldn't get a reservation for Saturday, I made it for today. Thank God that actually happened, because today was a grand disaster. 

I valet parked at the Ritz (which is free if you dine there or use their spa) and I took my parents inside. They had a wonderful gingerbread display of the actual hotel. A hotel employee was kind enough to snap our photo. 


In front of one of the trees. 



The hotel is decorated in white, silver and gold for the holidays. I snapped this photo of my mom, which was right in front of the restaurant. 

The restaurant has be remodeled from when I was last there. It is more open concept now, it lost its old world charm, and because it is a large open space it is VERY loud. They had a piano player today who I wanted to throttle as well. Horrible musician, with no feel or appreciation for music. Music can set the tone and vibe of a place, so I am not sure what the Ritz was thinking with this hire. 
I typically love high tea. However, the Ritz has changed how it serves tea and frankly it has lost its charm and elegant. Now each individual gets their own tiered tray of food and the savories and sweets are mixed together (which I don't care for!). All of this was bad enough, but it was my dad who made me very upset. 

He wasn't happy with the environment, he hated the food, and did not really eat anything presented to him. He kept asking me if this was it? In addition, he liked certain things, so he ate those things from his tray as well as mine. Then decided to pile up food and demanded a box. He boxed his food and mine. So I missed the opportunity to eat a good portion of what I received. In addition, my parents can't lift the tea pots, so I am juggling three tea pots, my dad unhappy and boxing food, and then he just sat there staring at us, as if he could will us to finish. NOT A GOOD experience and I came home livid. As it takes planning and coordination on my part to make this all happen. 

What was on the tiered trays..................

Assortment of Tea Sandwiches
Quiche
Avocado Shrimp Tartare
Bloody Mary Deviled Egg
Smoked Chicken Cranberry, Butternut Squash Salad
Cucumber Sandwich Roasted Red Pepper, Feta Spread

Assortment of Sweets
Currant Scone With Traditional Accompaniments
(Lemon Cream, Clotted Cream & Raspberry Marmalade)
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry
Red Currant Cacao Nib Mendiant
Caramel & Citrus Tea Infused Panna Cotta
Orange Blossom Financier, Mango Compote
Raspberry Mascarpone Tart
Opera Cake

A close up. This tiered set up is for one person. So we got three of these on our table. 
The Ritz gives the birthday guest a lotus shaped flower of strawberries and fresh cream. The cream is super thick and delicious and I am not a whipped cream fan. 
I am glad my mom enjoyed yesterday and today, but the sad reality is my dad did not remember yesterday, nor did he remember eating at home for Thanksgiving! I am serious, NOTHING. 

After I paid the bill, we went back down to the valet stand to get the car. Once the car pulled up the valets could see that I was juggling both of my parents and several bags. I not only have to help both parents in the car, but neither can figure out how to do the seatbelts. When I finally got them buckled in, the valet said to me..... "Thank God for you and what you are doing." I told him that was very nice, and that someone needs to look after me.

No comments: