Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 21, 2023

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and at that point was zooming around our home. As you can see, he desperately wanted to grab a hold of Patches. Which was why Peter and I placed Patches pouch up high. No matter what Mattie did, Patches simply understood that she had to behave, she couldn't hiss or claw at Mattie. She was an amazing cat. This was a typical sight in our home though. Mattie loved pumpkins in the fall, and we always had a small collection going and of course, no photo would be complete without Mattie's sippy cup of milk. It was like his security blanket!


Quote of the day: The fact that something has happened to a million other people diminishes neither grief nor joy.Author unknown


This morning my dad's physical therapist came over for his Saturday session. Two different therapists work with my dad. We met both of these women at the hospital, as they do private practice work too! In any case, today's therapist, also happens to be my mom's therapist. I absolutely love Cassidy, as we have worked together for the last two years, between my dad and my mom. In a way, she has become part of our weekly circle. My mom has her last session this coming week, and I will miss seeing this therapist on a regular basis. There is something about Cassidy that reminds her of me, when I was her age. 

In any case, I have been worried about my dad's decline and now today confirms what I suspected. Both physical therapists see what I am seeing. Cassidy told me that typically my dad can do a 45 minute exercise routine without a break. Not today, he needed to take three breaks. In addition, he could only go up and the down the stairs once. Whereas about a month ago, he could do this three times during one session. Needless to say, we see his rehabilitation doctor in two weeks, and I am going to have to have a conversation with him.

I took my parents to Rockville, MD. As we go to this restaurant every Saturday. In any case, the restaurant is fully decked out for Halloween!
Dawn, is our server, at this particular restaurant and she brought me fall flowers today. Mattie Miracle colors no less! These mums are very fragrant and the gesture of kindness is deeply appreciated. 

Of course no day would be complete for me without managing multiple bowel movements! When I drove home, I had to immediately get my dad out of the car because he had to go to the bathroom. Of course he did not make it and that meant another big clean up job. All I can say is, my parents are lucky I have a strong constitution. 

Meanwhile, the highlight of my day was receiving my blood test results from Friday. For six months, I have altered my diet to lower my cholesterol. I have been very successful and my doctor congratulated me. My first experience with high cholesterol happened right after Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. I was unable to manage what I ate, and ate a ton of carbohydrates (comfort food). Now with my parents living with me, my stress level is once again very high. But for me cutting out ice cream, bread, and cheese, always improves things and I am so glad in the midst of the nightmare I am balancing that I am able to be disciplined and also have committed to a walking routine (when I can). 

No comments: