Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 14, 2024

Friday, June 14, 2024

Friday, June 14, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. Mattie was five years old. He was invited to his friend Ellie's birthday party! I believe this was the party that had a pony! I can't tell you how exciting this was for the children! Mattie absolutely loved the ride. Mattie had the best preschool community and I am forever grateful that his speech therapist referred me to this school. It was within this school that Mattie developed amazing friendships and to this day, many of the women I am closest to, I met at this school! 




Quote of the day: It’s hard to let go of someone who has been a good friend, but it’s even harder to hold on to someone who doesn’t want to be held. ~ Unknown


Several months ago, I befriended a woman in England. She is experiencing similar issues as I am, as we met in an on-line support group. Ironically after two group sessions, I dropped out. Those of you who have been long time readers of mine, know, I am NOT a support group type of person! I value the need and importance of support groups, but this mode just doesn't resonate with me. However, it only took two on-line group sessions for me to connect with this woman. We write to each other daily. She writes me in the morning and I write to her before I go to sleep. It has been our pattern for months.  

One of the things we discuss is the art of keeping busy. We all have different names for this! I call it diversions. I swear by diversions, as they are the only thing that helped me survive and cope with the tragic loss of Mattie. Why? Because it is absolutely impossible to sit in grief, with stress, and angst 24/7. The body and mind need breaks from this to recharge and regroup. This is where diversions come in. After Mattie died, I literally spent days in bed. However, while in bed, I was watching Hallmark movies and doing all sorts of crafts. Hallmark and arts and crafts were my therapy. 

My friend's message today included pages from a book she is reading. It is about the therapeutic value of cooking. How we can get invested in preparing a meal, feel control over selecting ingredients, and get lost in the art of chopping, stirring, watching things simmer. I of course believe in this wholeheartedly. I have always loved to cook. Maybe because I like to eat! Or maybe because it reminds me of my maternal grandmother, who was an excellent cook. But I know when I cook dinner (practically every day of the week), it takes my mind off my boat load of troubles. 

I went grocery shopping today and always bring fresh fish home on Fridays. I am a big kalamata olive fan, and bought fresh ones today. I cooked onions, garlic, olive oil, white wine, tomatoes, olives, fresh basil and oregano (from my garden) and tossed it on the flounder and then baked it in the oven for 20 minutes. It was wonderful! But you have to be an olive fan!
My neighbor gave me a white yam! I did not include a photo of it, but I chopped it up and roasted it in the oven with cinnamon and nutmeg. The white yam, tastes like a orange yam, but its consistency is much firmer than the orange yam! 

I also sauteed eggplant and peppers together! I even got my dad to eat eggplant, which is a feat, as he isn't the best with vegetables. So these were my productive diversions this evening. 

Three things I am grateful for:
  1. Friends who email, text, and write to me!
  2. Being almost done with the 15th anniversary video. 
  3. Post-it notes. I have so much going on, that I have notes to myself all over the place. Who ever invested these sticky notes, I thank them!

No comments: