Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 25, 2024

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Tuesday, June 25, 2024 --Mattie died 769 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. That weekend we went to the Cardboard Boat Regatta with one of Mattie's best buddies in kindergarten, Campbell. This event at Lake Accotink Park is something I will never forget. Teams build boats out of cardboard and then compete to float, navigate, and win races. The creativity of design and style were amazing, and the whole thing fascinated Mattie. I always thought this would be an activity he would have done with Peter as he got older. Mattie LOVED boats and if you asked him, he would have told you that he was saving money in his piggy bank to buy a boat (a real one!). 


Quote of the day: I will never love another. Not like I loved you. I just don’t have the love for it again. ~ Atticus


Last night, after putting my parents to bed, I went to my bedroom. Despite how tired I am, I typically turn on the TV and watch comedy shows. It is my way of unwinding, forgetting my reality, and trying to distract my brain enough to fall asleep. When I went to turn on the TV, the cable was acting up. The picture was freezing every 20 seconds making it impossible to watch TV. That may not sound like a problem, but for me it is. It is part of my bedtime routine and without it, I have a hard time relaxing. So for two hours I tried everything, from rebooting the system, running a diagnostic, to even going to the basement to reboot the router. NOTHING worked. Instead of calming down, I worked myself up into a tizzy. I was highly anxious as technological problems are not my strength. Needless to say, I did not get to sleep until after 2am. Of course, I am up at 6:30am. 

After I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, I ran home to call Verizon. I was on the phone for 90 minutes with a tech. He tried everything on his end, but the problem remains. So now I have a service ticket open for Thursday. If managing that call wasn't bad enough, I then called Amgen. 

Recap, I am trying to access my $1,500 co-pay from Amgen to help pay for my Prolia injection that I received in March. The infusion center wants to get paid and I am desperately trying to work out this problem. My co-pay went to a specialty pharmacy, which I used with prior shots before switching to the infusion center. In any case, the pharmacy obtained my co-pay and they are sitting on it. Yet I did not get my prescription filled from them. The irony is the specialty pharmacy says they don't have my co-pay and they blame Amgen. Amgen tells me that the issue is with the specialty pharmacy. I have been fighting this battle for a month and a half. I have a long file of call logs at Amgen and am very frustrated.

Any case, I spoke to a representative at Amgen today and basically he told me that NOTHING has been done since my last call on June 10. I was LIVID. I told him I needed to speak to someone who could give me answers TODAY and I was not getting off the phone until he made this happen. In the past, Amgen would placate me and would tell me they would call me back with updates. Updates that never happened. So today, I wasn't falling for the.... we will call you back with an update. After my persistence, I was finally connected with a manager based in Pittsburgh. John is a God sent. He read through my file, asked questions and quickly got up to speed. He actually called me back twice today with updates and now it is my hope he can track down my money. He has asked me to wait 72 hours and would call me. I now have John's full name and know how to get a hold of him. The question is, why aren't all people like John?

Later today, I went out to the garden to stake up these huge rubrum lilies. Peter knew how much I love these particular lilies, so he planted them for me last year. But like with any bulb, they seem to multiple from year to year. So I will have many lilies this year. They are a reminder to me of the love Peter once had for me. 
These giant lilies are OVER my head and their stalks are heavy!
One of my rose gardens!
Do you see the oak trees in the brown flower pots!? Well here is the story on them. They came from acorns we picked up around our townhouse in Washington, DC. We planted them in tribute to Mattie. Mattie loved our oak trees, for two reasons. One, he loved to collect acorns and two, we used their leaves each spring to feed his tent moth caterpillars. So this is a part of Washington, DC that we took with us and of course a tribute in memory of our Mattie. 


Three things I am grateful for:

  1. Advil and Icy Hot patches! As I am still in great physical pain. That doesn't stop me from moving, but each move is exhausting. 
  2. John! Thank goodness for kind, competent, and pro-active people who are committed to helping their patients. 
  3. Columbo! I found a channel today that had several episodes back to back. I am a big Columbo fan and my dad enjoyed the change of pace on TV. 

No comments: