Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 27, 2024

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the outpatient physical therapy clinic. This mess was taking place within a session. Anna (PT) and Linda (child life) were working with Mattie to get him to use and exercise his legs. Naturally if you asked Mattie to do traditional exercises, the answer would be no! But if you threw in shaving cream and the opportunity to make a mess, he was all in! I always say that Mattie encouraged all of us to think outside the box and to rise to the occasion. 


Quote of the day: What a painful thing to taste forever in the eyes of someone who doesn’t see the same. ~ Perry Poetry


This morning, I got up at 5:15am, in order to get everything done before the Verizon tech visit. Our tech came at 9:15am and what an amazing fellow. Abdullah was fantastic. His family is originally from the Bronx, NY, so we immediately connected, because that is where my parents were born. Abdullah identified my cable issues and fortunately I did the right thing by scheduling this repair. As this issue was NOT going to be corrected on its own, and couldn't be addressed remotely either. Abdullah and I walked through each cable box, he helped to reprogram my TVs and even gave me his business card. So I now can contact him directly as well as his supervisor. We need to clone Abdullah! When I experience stable, kind, and capable people, it transforms my day. It also restores my negative view point on humanity. 

Since this appointment went so well, I had time this morning to go grocery shopping while my dad's physical therapist was giving him a session at home. The grocery store was featuring 80s music today! It literally brought me back to a better time in my life. Some songs I remember from high school and others from college. Fortunately I did not know what a disaster my life was going to be back then. Instead, I grew up in a loving and very happy home, and one would have thought that this happiness would have traveled with me throughout adulthood. So what started out as a positive visit to the grocery store, turned out to be a bittersweet journey down memory lane. As I shop, I naturally pass things I would have gotten for Peter and for my Sunny. Both gone from my life. Just way too much trauma and loss. 

When I got home, I wanted to put away groceries! However, my dad's physical therapist started in on me. She had suggestions about adding another railing on our staircase! Truly YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I am on overload on every front, paying bills and keeping this house afloat, do you honestly think I want to hear about a stair railing?! The answer in NO! Instead, I told her I will have him go up the stairs at night sideways. A technique he learned when he was in the hospital. We go down the stairs sideways together, so now I will just have him reverse the process. My dad doesn't negotiate stairs alone anyway. I have a gait belt around him and guide him through the process. 

Later this afternoon, I took my parents out! However, as you can see I couldn't get out of my driveway! My neighbor has a never ending construction project going on at her house. This is in addition to what has happened to my marriage, and also living in daily chaos for over a year! Trucks, debris, and constant noise. 
This evening while working on the computer, I had a crow visit. I am not sure the significance of this, but I have a feeling this is some sort of omen.

Mattie Miracle just launched a fifth Snack & Item Cart and I was asked tonight to generate signs to go on the Cart. This was a detail that I always turned to Peter to handle. We would talk about the concept, but he would execute on it. Of course, now that I am the one woman machine, I had to remember what company we used in the past and then I had to design and create the products. Since Peter left in September, I have been on a 9 month journey through hell, with a steep learning curve on every front.

Three things I am grateful for:
  1. 80's music.
  2. Abdullah and kind, customer focused professionals. 
  3. Continuing education on sale! My mental health license is up for renewal this December, and with that, I need more CEUs. I received a flyer in the mail today and was able to purchase several trainings that are right up my alley. 

No comments: