Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 10, 2008

Sunday, August 10th, 2008

Sunday, August 10th, 2008 - Mattie officially finished up the drug regimen portion of his first week of chemo last night around 9:30pm. So the balance of last night's and today's activities were focused on making him as comfortable as possible and on reducing the amount of nausea and emesis. Mattie spent the evening and today fighting off nausea and emesis, which made him lethargic and miserable. We thought we had a small victory tonight when Mattie was hungry and requested Mac 'n cheese of which he ate a half serving (not bad for a six year old who had gone through chemo and not eaten or drunk anything in three days). But, the victory was erased after an hour when we were trying to get an oral stool softener and his Nystatin (an anti biotic that coats the throat to prevent thrush, a fungal infection of the throat) down, and Mattie vomitted up both the medication he had just taken and the food.

This episode left me and Vicki with a lot of frustration and depression since we had worked so hard to get Mattie to eat and drink again only to have it erased by another element of the treatment regimen. I'd say it was ironic that one aspect of the cure actually undid the progress that another aspect was making, but then that would add only negative thoughts to an already grim situation.

We're giving Mattie Zofran (anti-nausea) again tonight in the hopes this finally helps surpress the nausea so that we can give him more food at some point, and with the hope that we can stabilize him by tomorrow so that we have the option to go home if we like. Frankly, given that the MRI is on Tuesday at 1pm and his biopsies are wednesday at 7am and that we will have to be at Main Registration by 5am, I think we will likely stay in the hospital, but we do not know for sure.

The toll is making its mark on Mattie. Last week, Mattie asked whether children can die. Today he said to me that he wanted to die, which is not something Mattie has ever said before to me or Vicki. Although this was said in the context of him having gone through chemo and being nauseous for several days, I was still surprised, shocked, and devastated to have my six year-old, picture of perfect health now dealing with cancer, saying this to me. It crushed me and I had to stop myself from thinking about it. In the past, when Mattie has asked what happened to someone who was no longer with us (Great Grandmas and Granddads for example), we have told him the truth that some people get sick and die and based on our religious beliefs are joined with God in heaven.

After he said he wanted to die, I did my best to catch myself and responded to him quickly as if he had just made a ludicrious statement, but neither Vicki nor I have ever addressed this issue with him. However, Mattie is a smart kid and sufficiently perceptive on some level to understand that he is really sick. Vicki did talk with him and helped him verbalize why he thought he was dying and that he may feel this way now because the medicines have made him sick, but that this feeling will be temporary but yet necessary to get the "bugs" out.

Mattie also said today that he was ugly, which also crushed Vicki and me. I think Mattie is clearly observing and sensing that he looks and behaves differently, and believes he is being treated that way. Mattie has a huge triple pump IV pole connected and next to him at all times; he has dangling tubes connecting him and his chest; he is wearing a hospital gown and not normal clothes, and most importantly, he cannot do what his friends can do and therefore feels self-conscious and overwhelmed. I am no mental health professional, and perhaps my conclusions are wrong, but I don't think so. The implications of this will continue to unfold but one thing is for sure, Mattie will be more isolated while he is battling this disease in part because he will be out of school, but also because of the treatments and the surgeries, each of which will be significant with many, many months of physical therapy, will mean more isolation and situations where he knows others will point out that he is different. So, we'll have to come to grips with how to address this at some point.

We had a bunch of visitors again today. Kim Messinger, Director of Resurrection Children's Center, came by today to say hi to Mattie (who was in one of his "icky" states) and to give us some pictures of Mattie several years ago at RCC. Also, Mattie had a group of RCC buddies show up as well this afternoon including: Kate, Eric and Jaimie along with their parents Dave and Julia Lee; Sam, Maddie and Ryan and their parents Ashley and Bob Glennon, as well as Bob's parents "Mima and Pipa" Glennon (fellow Bostonians and Sox fans). Thanks Lana for the special gift bag, thanks to the Glennon Family for the great pirate book and thanks to the Lees for the breakfast materials.

Additionally, Mattie got a visit from Nikki Biers (a SSSAS buddy) and her brother Lucas and parents Frank and Viki, and Campbell Cooper (a SSSAS buddy) and his mom Christine. Thanks for the Indiana Jones DS cartridge and thanks to Christine for the Scooby-themed items for Mattie, dinner and the special things for us.

We also got a visit from an RCC buddy Sara Catherine Canterbury along with her brother Garret and her mom and dad Catherine and Brian. Thanks Catherine and Brian for all the useful and thoughtful things to continue making this a little easier. Vicki, loves the cookies! Last, Anand Narasimhan, his wife Ella and daughter Daia also paid a visit last night and gave Mattie some things which was very thoughtful. Anand is the Chief Technology Officer at Voxiva, Pete's company, and is moving to Israel in a few weeks to be closer to Ella's mother who is not doing well either. So in summary, Mattie had a very busy social day.

I go to bed with a racing mind fatigued by several weeks of sleepless nights, life-altering revelations by day and racked by a complete loss of my sense of time or day (something that I live by precisely). Both Vicki and I understand that it will be five or more weeks before we have any early indications that the chemo is having an effect on the tumor growth. A metric that we will be watching is the alkaline phosphotase level in the blood. The Alkaline-phosphotase enzyme is an indicator of bone cell activity. In Mattie the level is 3-4 times higher than normal for a child his age (Mattie's is around the 600 to 700 range), who by the way have a lot of bone growth occurring. Although the level is expected to rise slightly with the administration of the chemo, we ideally want to see Mattie's number level-off and stop climbing, and ideally see it start falling as this could be an indication that the bad bone cells are dying-off.

In addition to our hope that the chemo works, the thought of all the surgeries, bone replacements, artificial prostheses, loss of function and physical therapy is overwhelming and almost too much to think about at once. I have to push myself to think about it, which is its own separate torture given all that we have gone through and all that we are dealing with at this point. All we can do is get the best care available, make Mattie as comfortable as possible, and allow our family and friends to surround us in love and support. So thank you everyone for all that you do as it does make a difference to us.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, Trust, & hope are all we can pray for...Its so nice to hear of all his visitors, they are helpful and inviting breaks...and a smile or 2 can never be a bad thing! :) You are all fighters, this battle is not over yet! In my thoughts & prayers...
Love always,
cousin Patty

Melissa M said...

Dr. Sardi -
I just learned of Mattie's cancer and am deeply saddened for the unimaginable difficulty that you and your family are going through right now. Please know that I hold you in very high esteem and respect, and am sending lots of positive and loving thoughts your way! Just from knowing you in the classroom, I can easily see that you are an amazing, strong, and passionate person, and I just know that you, Mattie and your family will overcome this!
Much love and respect,
Melissa Mansfield

Anonymous said...

Tom's son Mike had cancer and went through chemo. He suggested ice pops for liquid and sugar free sucking candy or lolipops to counteract some of the nasty taste the chemo leaves in your mouth.
--Charlie Brown

Anonymous said...

To Mattie and his Dear Parents,

This is Caroline Eaton, 4th grade teacher at SSSAS. I am at in Baltimore with my Mom and Dad this summer, recovering from my eleventh orthopedic surgery. Over the course of many years, I have learned that my wonderful parents have been the impetus behind my progress and healing. My burden has been shared, and through their sacrifices I have been able to cope with many challenges. Whether you are 6 or 27, the mere presence of loving parents offers a special comfort that nothing else can provide. And although at the time I know I didn't express it, I owe every step that I take to my Mom and Dad. So to Vicki and Pete, I can't imagine the pain that you feel when you see your sweet boy suffering so. But remember that your mere presence by his side means that you are sharing the burden, and offering him a type of comfort that nothing else can. You will continue to be in my prayers!

Unknown said...

Hey Mattie,

I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye today!!! I had sooo much fun with you in the morning!! We spent some good quality time, you're a STAR scrabble player!!! It will be the same tomorrow, I'll see you in the morning!! =) I've been in a lot of meetings today in the afternoon so I haven't been by to see you!!! Have an AWESOME evening with mom and dad and I'll see you tomorrow! I have some office things I need to finish up some boring office work and pick up my car from the shop today. Maddie told me you were resting now so I'll see you tomorrow!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mattie, Vicki, and Pete
This is James and Alison Godding your cousins in Plattsburgh New York. We just heard of the overwhelming experience you are all going through. We wanted you to know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. You all seem to be doing the best you can under the circumstances you are facing and please know that we are thinking of you always.
Love you all
James, Alison, Amberly, Allen, and Jesse Godding

Anonymous said...

Hey Mattie, Vicki, and Peter
I have been keeping up with the blog, and i can see that Mattie is not doing to well, and i just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are always with you guys and if you ever need anything i will gladly be there to help.
Love always,
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I'm so sorry--Sunday seems like it was especially hard...Words seem so insufficient at times like these.
We continue to hope and love you guys and pray the chemo has begun doing its work in shrinking the tumors.

Vicki- I marvel at your ability to help Mattie verbalize and process his pain and fear. It is incredible that you have the werewithall to do this now--you are truly amazing.

Love always,
Amany

Anonymous said...

One of the little boys in the osteosarcoma support list on ACOR had a humerus resection, probably one of the surgeries that Mattie will have. I saw a video of him playing around in his hospital room, and his shoulder had recovered so well I was shocked. He was moving it up and down and all around like only a little boy can do! I've got a lot of titanium in my arm now, and while my progress was a lot slower than a child's will be, I made it through PT and made it on to a good life again. Please don't let the surgical recoveries overwhelm you just yet. I think you will find that your 6-year-old has incredible youth on his side! Those little bodies can so greatly heal. Let's hope for that!

By the way, osteosarcomas are incredibly uncommon in any age group. From what I have read, there are 900 cases a year in the US, and about half of them occur in children/adolescents and half in adults. This makes us very very special! I am sending you all huge hugs. You will be pros at all of this real soon. It won't be easy, but you will do it!